Author Topic: Brake pipe problems  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Gmg31

Brake pipe problems
« on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 01:54:17 PM »
Gutted tonight after making an incredibly clumsy mistake.  I damaged the brake pipe that goes from the LR along the Y and back down the RR.  I know it is well fixed to the chassis and sealed in neoprene at the Y of the back bone. So there is absolutely no way of replacing it without lifting the shell back off. Can I replace this by re routing it or do I really have to lift the chassis again.  Any advice would be very welcome please.

Online BDA

Re: Brake pipe problems
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
It seems we've had somebody else have the same problem but I couldn't find a thread on it. In any case, you should be able to find the brake pipe junction that also has the brake light switch. You can replace the line that goes under the body to the opposite flex line and re-route it. It probably won't be easy since you have to get to the forward end of the radius arm.

Maybe this picture from the S2 workshop manual will help. #21 is what you want to replace.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
I'm not clear which one is damaged, is it the long one from front to rear or the two lines which I've seen located on top of the rear chassis Y legs and feed the rear brakes ?

If it's the long one through the centre tunnel then that's not as hard as it might seem. I've replaced mine in situ when I removed the servo & re-made all the lines. You can get access to the central spine from inside the car and it should only be clipped in place. I needed a brake pipe flaring tool to make the last flare though, that had to be done on the car for a reason I can't recall just now.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »
It seems we've had somebody else have the same problem but I couldn't find a thread on it. In any case, you should be able to find the brake pipe junction that also has the brake light switch. You can replace the line that goes under the body to the opposite flex line and re-route it. It probably won't be easy since you have to get to the forward end of the radius arm.

Maybe this picture from the S2 workshop manual will help. #21 is what you want to replace.

BDA is correct, someone else had the same problem. Check out page 15 of this thread.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=917.210

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 04:45:15 PM »
No word of a lie, we have had a couple of cars come in with rubber hose and hose clamps "repairing" a damaged brake line.

Online BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 08:34:31 PM »
Glad you were able to find it, Joji! I'm not surprised you see this, John! I know it would put me in a bad mood!

Offline rascott

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »
it took me a while to realize there was no easy way to remove that line- now i have to be careful of the sharp remains.
that bundy pipe fits around the back of the engine, but threading it thru with all the bends requires patience.
a couple of clamps will hold it nicely, once i install them.
the fitting at the pivot was not that hard to work with, and i used the same nut, 'cause i couldn't find a new one.
got the longest pre-made brakeline with the right male ends, so i could practice a couple of test flares, before the last cut.
richard
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 23, 2016, 11:59:51 PM by rascott »

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »
The pipe was new when I fitted it and once the body is back on the chassis it is impossible to replace.  I have bought a hand held brake pipe flanging tool off eBay and I'm planning to lift the shell as high as it will go. I can then cut out the damaged  bit and connect up an"extention". To bypass the damage. Not ideal but I can't see any other solution. Just so annoyed that I have to remove so many parts and unbolt the shell again in order to lift it.  Thanks everyone for your advice.
« Last Edit: Thursday,February 25, 2016, 12:03:09 PM by Gmg31 »