Lotus Europa Forums > Random Europa Sightings

Europa production line - with Barry De Groot

(1/4) > >>

GavinT:
Barry De Groot shared this photo on a Facebook group so I asked if it was OK to share it and he agreed.
As time whistles by, I reckon it's good to read the experience of those who were there at the time.

The pic below shows the early stages of the Europa production line, with Barry leaning on the front fender.
Below is a copy/paste outlining his story.

I joined Lotus in 1966 aged 23. Initially I was on the Elan assembly line, but later when I saw a model of the proposed Europa, I asked my boss Ted Elliot if I could somehow be involved in the project.

Initially 4 of us were set up in the Vehicle Engineering Department to build the first 2 prototypes. When completed, they were sent to the Lotus Dealership in Paris to be unveiled to the motoring press at a lavish cocktail party. I was the only one of the 4 who held a passport, so I had to accompany the cars on a transporter to Paris. I was required to attend the cocktail party with the motoring press, and afterwards joined other employees involved in the project, at a restaurant in Paris as guests of Mr. Chapman.

On my return I was involved with the initial setting up of the Europa assembly line, that is when this photo was taken.

Link to the Facebook "Lotus Europa" group - you'll need to become a member.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/95292140870

TurboFource:
Thanks for sharing!

BDA:
Baby Europas lining up to be born!

Bainford:
Very cool history snippet. Thanks for sharing.

Bryan Boyle:

--- Quote from: BDA on Monday,March 13, 2023, 04:04:06 PM ---Baby Europas lining up to be born!

--- End quote ---

With suits standing there watching. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version