Lotus Europa Forums > Random Europa Sightings

The Twincam Mosquito

(1/2) > >>

Lou Drozdowski:
Caught this today on the Europa FB group...

A little known sprint GT parked along side is a Marcos GT. First introduced in 1964, one of it's unusual characteristics was adopted from the venerable British fighter/bomber. Later designs incorporated various power plants to include the Lotus 1600 Twin cam.

The pictured car has a front hood bulge indicating it has the later 3 liter Ford engine.

https://silodrome.com/marcos-gt-car/ 

BDA:
Very interesting car! The Jay Leno video in the article you linked to was very good too!

LotusEuropa:
Nice picture! And since Frank Costin was involved in the early days of Lotus, the cars are also connected in some way.

I like the front of the Marcos GT very much, but I don't like the tail, to be honest.

Regards
Raphael

4129R:
The Ford Anglia 105E on the left of the photo is the source for the Europa and Elan +2 front bumper.

I have not seen a Marcos (Jem Marsh and Frank Costin and also part of Cosworth) for a very long time.

They were a similar concept to TVR which also had the 1600, 3000 and V8 versions around that time.

TVR evolved into quite a decent brand until taken over by Nikolay Smolensky, (possibly a friend of Mazepin).

Richard48Y:
I had a wood chassis Marcos for a few years.
When I got it the DPO had put a Mazzzda rotary drive-train into it.
A truly terrible conversion.
He parked it shortly after when the brakes wore out.
A difficult car to source parts for even with club help.
I eventually found a Kent 1600 and T9 trans for it.
By that time plus finding out what was going to be required for chassis repair, I realized I could restore two or three conventional cars for the same time and expense.
I was fortunate in my timing and actually broke even on it.
Sold to Europe and then back in the UK, probably finished by now and resold several more times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version