Author Topic: GSXR1000 engine conversion  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

GSXR1000 engine conversion
« on: Sunday,December 08, 2019, 06:56:17 AM »
I think I posted a previous version of this ad a while back. It's been updated with actual pictures of the installation in a S2 with drive train. Total weight with stripped body, rolling chassis and engine assembly is around 850 lbs.  No affiliation, food for discussion.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/d/simi-valley-lotus-europa-s1s2t-suzuki/7028013579.html

==============================================================================

LOTUS EUROPA S1,S2,T/C. SUZUKI GSXR 1000 ENGINE/TRANS CONVERSION - $14950 (Simi Valley)

" FOLLOWING THE CHAPMAN THEORY LIGHTER IS FASTER "

Utilizing 2007 Suzuki GSXR 1000 engine, sequential (6) speed manual trans, complete electronic engine management system. Will reduce the weight of Europa S1,S2,T/C in the range of 550-650 lbs,also providing a foundation modernizing all mechanical and drive line components increasing reliability

Performance specs: 180 h.p - 190 h.p @12000 rpms, with sequential trans, custom gearing /sprocket ratios capable of speeds from 140 -160 mph. complete engine and trans assembly weight approximately 250-275 lbs.

* CHECK OUT VIDEO LINKS BELOW OF THE GSXR 1000 ENGINE PACKAGE POTENTIAL*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki11YstlwT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7G0iA6rXyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFFccIJckM

ALL ENGINE CONVERSION THAT HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTED TO BE INSTALLED IN EUROPA'S HAVE EFFECTIVELY BEEN VERY DISAPPOINTING DUE TO IN CORRECT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

Our complete drive train conversion consists of (ALL NEW) custom fabricated engine space frame, tested low mileage Suzuki GSXR 1000 engine / trans. complete electronic harness and ecu, with matching instrumentation, all engine / trans ancillary custom fabricated parts, exhaust system, cooling system ,clutch hydraulics, relocated rear suspension pickup points necessary for stiffer chassis / increased power, proprietary differential, with matching sprockets, custom valved shocks / springs, rear uprights, heavy duty bearing assembly, modified redesigned upgraded trailing arms, with rod ends, track rods with rod ends, axles /c/v's, rear disc brakes.

ALL KITS ARE CUSTOM BUILT IN THE U.S.A. (6-8 WEEK DELIVERY SCHEDULE) ENGINE / TRANS,
USED WITH 12K -20K MILES BENCH TESTED.

INSTALLATION OF COMPLETE KIT, INCLUDING ALL NECESSARY MODIFICATIONS TO CHASSIS CAN BE PERFORMED IN OUR SHOP. $6K-$7K

COST TO REBUILD BOTH ENGINE / TRANS FOR ADDITIONAL H.P, (210-220) INCLUDING NO LIFT PADDLE SHIFT SYSTEM FOR TRACK OR STREET $5K-$6K.

PROPRIETARY REVERSE DRIVE KIT AVAILABLE FOR STREET APPLICATION. $850-$950

* EUROPA S2 IN ATTACHED IMAGES NOT INCLUDED IN SALES PRICE

For further information,including complete services we provide specifically for Europa's
please call and leave a message. show contact info

*Due to phone scams will not respond to emails or text messages.

www.aandbracing.com

Offline BDA

Re: GSXR1000 engine conversion
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 08, 2019, 09:45:54 AM »
That is a very interesting idea. I especially like the modular aspect. I am a little put off by this:

ALL ENGINE CONVERSION THAT HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTED TO BE INSTALLED IN EUROPA'S HAVE EFFECTIVELY BEEN VERY DISAPPOINTING DUE TO IN CORRECT WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

I don't know if he's saying that his installation is better than if you did it yourself. I can't imagine he is saying that there is a fundamental flaw in the kit! I presume that this guy is honest and these are viable kits but looking at the placement of the water radiator, I'd be concerned that it wouldn't get enough air. Almost all the air in the engine compartment goes up through the engine cover vents. And maybe  the large hole under the bumper works better than the much smaller louvered hole I have for my oil cooler (which does work well at all).

I recently went to the SCCA Runoffs for the first time in a long time (my how things have changed!) and there were a few classes that utilized motorcycle engines. They were blindingly fast so if everything works as it should it should give great performance. Not knowing anything about motorcycles, I wonder about the longevity of the motor and tranny... but then, it seems to be pretty modular so pulling or replacing motors might be very simple.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 08, 2019, 01:07:53 PM »
I've always been curious how the final drive was setup in these motorcycle conversions. With the drive sprocket oriented in the standard motorcycle position, from the pictures, these guys use a chain and I assume a rear sprocket and the reverse function is an optional addition. I got to drive a Super 7 clone a while back powered by a 1000cc R1 engine. Talk about an exhilarating experience. I own a 1000cc motorcycle and I was definitely impressed with the acceleration of the 7 clone. Even with the additional weight a S2 will have to lug around, performance should be lively to say the least.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 08, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
I posted on a link of his rear suspension a while back. He has a pic in the Craigslist add still, pic 10. Look at the angle of the upper control arm. Even if it is at full droop, it is a lot of angle.

My heavy engine weighs 370lbs + a heavy MR2 trans at 110 lbs is 480lbs, axles maybe 30lbs, clutch 30 so 550 lbs. What's a Europa eng weigh? I know the Lotus trans was around 75lbs. He says his is 250-275 lbs. Reasonable but not dropping a Europa 550-650 lbs.

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 08, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
I have no idea what this guy is doing for a differential - but if you wanted to swap a motorcycle engine into a Europa then you could get those components from Quaife

https://www.quaife.co.uk/quaife-products/motorcycle-engined-vehicle/