Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump  (Read 3906 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Electric Fuel Pump
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,July 18, 2018, 05:32:24 AM »
Adding a fuel pump impact kill switch appears to the consensus of the group. Makes sense. Any specific make/model/part numbers? Does anyone make one integrated with an electric fuel shut-off valve, since I have to add one of those anyway?
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,July 18, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »
I got mine many years ago from a place in England and I don't even know if it's still available but I found this one that seems pretty good.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfw-cr92

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,July 18, 2018, 04:15:19 PM »
Same supplier, cheaper and you just add a $10 relay:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/smp-fv7

Why do you want an electric fuel shut off valve?  If the pump stops, fuel stops, no need for a shut off valve.

A battery disconnect switch?  Yes, a very good idea.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,July 19, 2018, 06:02:29 AM »
I added a shutoff valve for my electric fuel pump at the suction line from the tank. The reason is to safely swap out the pump without having to leak gas everywhere when the hose is disconnected. I still need to add an inertia shut off switch.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline jbcollier

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,July 19, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »
John, will those work on steel braided hoses without damaging the hose? The secondary reason for the shutoff valve was to work as a last resort theft deterrent in case I had to park in a bad neighborhood  :).

Joji Tokumoto

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,July 19, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Joji,

Those would probably work on stainless steel braided hose but it would probably require more force and might crease a few of the wires in the braid. It's not what you would want to do but you could if you had to. I think an actual shutoff valve is more elegant for both of your purposes.

Alternatively, you could disconnect the hose at the tank or pump and be ready with a plug or cap to retain the fuel in the tank. It would be a little messy but you'd probably leak a lot less fuel than you'd expect. To effect the theft deterrent, don't park in bad neighborhoods!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,July 19, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »
The reason I think I need a positive shutoff valve is because with a full tank, the fuel level is above the carb floats. The Facet cube-pump model I currently have installed (undersized) has a built-in positive shut-off valve. The one DBE recommended does not (All according to this data sheet: http://www.facet-purolator.com/tech-information/ ).
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,July 19, 2018, 01:39:16 PM »
Can anyone explain the built in "positive shut off valve" that the particular Facet fuel pump (FAC-40178) that Tom is using employs. I'm scratching my head on this.