Author Topic: engines suitable for a Europa frame  (Read 4373 times)

Offline gene so

engines suitable for a Europa frame
« on: Monday,September 19, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »
Hello,
I have recently spotted a Europa in Santa Fe, which has not run for 34 years. I was told it had a Renault engine in it, which is shot.
I am curious, with the advances made in overhead valve engines in 30 years, what engine series would you recommend for placement in the Europa that would be widely available, powerful and the best "bang for the buck", so to speak.
I realize huge hosepower engines would probably be wedged into this frame somehow; yet I am  wondering which commonly available power plants would be suitable fort this chassis and be mated to the existing transmission?
Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Gene So

Offline BDA

Re: engines suitable for a Europa frame
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 19, 2016, 08:41:01 AM »
I think there are more options in Europe than in the States, but two good ones that we have are really good - Ford Zetec, and Toyota 4AGE. There are lots of Europa owners ("lots" is a relative term) who have done both of these conversions. I haven't done either, but it appears that the Zetec requires a bit less modifications if only because the TC bell housing will bolt on. Recently on the lotuseuropa yahoo group there was some activity about 4AGE support - I think a production run of parts for the conversion was discussed, but I didn't pay that much attention to it since I didn't need to.

I would advise you to join the yahoo group and search the posts or post yourself to explore further. There are a few on this forum who have engine swaps, too, who can be helpful.

If you get it, don't forget to post pictures and keep us up to date!

:lotus:
« Last Edit: Monday,September 19, 2016, 09:55:09 AM by LotusJoe »

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 19, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
As BDA stated, the Zetec is a relatively simple swap for a Twin Cam car, the 4AGE is a well documented swap for the Renault powered cars.  John Pels makes a "kit" to convert the Europa to the 4AGE.  You can swap a Zetec into the S2 but it does require sourcing a Twin Cam bellhousing (modified to clear the water outlet at the back of the head. 

Some little things that I've stumbled across in converting to a Zetec are as follows:

Clutch disc has to be either custom made or you need to source a 1.6L or 1.8L Zetec flywheel (which never came to North America)
If you swap the flywheel for the smaller one you need a clutch cover to suit
Mounting the starter requires some modifications
Motor mounts have to custom made (though my whole build is custom)
The oil filter needs to be relocated
The "blacktop" waterpump needs the hose connection modified to clear the chassis (or at least mine did)
The stock alternator setup doesn't really work in the Europa, so a smaller relocated one is a must (but the waterpump must still spin opposite to the crank for the "blacktop", the silvertop (early) waterpump can be modified)
Induction system is up to the builder, along with the exhaust
The ignition system is very easy to convert to Megajolt (and/or Megasquirt)

As for the 4AGE, the Pels kit is fairly complete, and Dave L on the yahoo group has made up a bunch of motor mounts and shift linkage bits to aid in the install. 

Beyond these two motors, rotaries have been swapped, along with the Duratec (or MZR motor) but these require custom adapters to mate them to the Renault gearboxes. 

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 19, 2016, 02:19:26 PM »
One poster on the yahoo list just posted he is selling his adapter plate and header for the 4AGE swap, as he is not going to use it.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 29, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
I have often been curious about fitting a Ford 2.3 or 2.0 SOHC engine, such as was found in the Pintos. They are great engines, easily modified, and though they are getting on in age now they made a hell of a lot of them, so there must me some around cheap. The 2.3 can easily be taken out to over 2.5 litres and make over 300 hp naturally aspirated. With supercharging, the sky is the limit. Being a period Ford engine they may bolt up to the Twin Cam bell housing. Yet I have never seen this conversion in an Europa.

Is anyone aware of this having been done? It seems like a natural, but not having seen one makes me wonder if there is a specific fitment issue. Perhaps the engine is too long.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 29, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
Not exactly a Pinto engine but apparently a close relative. This former (?) owner apparently thought about it, don't know if she ever went ahead with the transplant. Read the Oct 20, 2002 entry.

http://www.technogirls.org/lotus/

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 29, 2016, 11:24:54 AM »
Renault engined Europa frames are narrower at the front of the engine.  Few engines will fit without modifications.  One moderately common replacement is the Toyota 4AG engine.  Don't discount the Renault engine.  Parts are moderately readily available and it is reasonably peppy with amazing fuel economy.