Author Topic: Europa Ash Tray  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
Europa Ash Tray
« on: Saturday,February 20, 2016, 11:01:46 PM »
Anybody have any pictures and or dimensions of the spring clip that attaches the bakelite ash tray to it's chrome bezel on a Europa Special?  Thanks Allan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Europa Ash Tray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 21, 2016, 12:41:21 AM »
I can't help with the clip because I suspect mine's broken, or at least it doesn't seem to clip in properly.  So now I hold the ashtray in place with that double sided sticky foam tape, about 1/6" thick and normally used for trim items.

Brian

Offline phil

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 21, 2016, 03:10:29 AM »
Morning

I too was looking for one a few weeks ago, this is a picture someone sent to me, there must be some somewhere!

Phil

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 21, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
Thanks Phil, that should give me an idea what to make.  I seriously doubt anyone is reproducing this part and the only way is to find a complete used one.  But these things are getting expensive these days.  I just bought a broken one off ebay just for the lid, but it didn't have the spring either.  Have to believe it is the first thing to rust and fail. As I recalled from my last Europa (decades ago) it was just a spring steel part that was riveted to the back plate.  The tongue that stuck out clipped into the Bakelite ashtray and the top of the clip kept the lid open or closed with a little spring pressure.  Most likely I'll make one from plain steel.  After all, who uses these things these days anyway so I doubt it I will need to remove it to empty it that often.  Thanks again for the pic, it will help a lot, Allan 

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,February 21, 2016, 03:08:47 PM »
If you can't find or make an ash tray, it might be time to find something else to put there. Now a days there are clocks, GPS, radios with detachable screens, rear view cameras, etc. that might go well there. When I built my car (late '90s), the only thing I could find was a clock. It's not very exciting but it is handy and it's pretty accurate!  :)

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,February 21, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I had the Bakelite and back bezel and needed the lid and spring.  Harris Hayes had listed a busted one on ebay and I bought it just for the lid.  So now with the picture of what the spring is supposed to look like, I most likely can fabricate that part.  So I think I am good.  Plus with these cars finally appreciating, I will be restoring mine back to original as I can make it.  Thanks for the replies, Allan

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #6 on: Monday,February 22, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
If you can't find or make an ash tray, it might be time to find something else to put there. Now a days there are clocks, GPS, radios with detachable screens, rear view cameras, etc. that might go well there. When I built my car (late '90s), the only thing I could find was a clock. It's not very exciting but it is handy and it's pretty accurate!  :)

Yes, I too eventually gave up.  No amount of strategic foam tape placement would prevent it from vibrating, rattling and driving me crazy.   I ended up making this plate from aluminum.  It no longer rattles!

Dean

Offline Gearbox

• The Lola Registry
« Reply #7 on: Monday,February 22, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »
Very nice Dean, I especially liked the Lotus Ford plate you installed or etched in there.  Have a better picture, would love to read it.  Thanks Allan

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Monday,February 22, 2016, 07:03:07 PM »
Very nice addition! I'll bet it makes good reading at a stop light!  :)

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #9 on: Monday,February 22, 2016, 09:10:44 PM »
Very nice Dean, I especially liked the Lotus Ford plate you installed or etched in there.  Have a better picture, would love to read it.  Thanks Allan

Allan,

The car is covered at the moment, but here is the art work that produced the image.  In the end I decided not to install the inverted version (raised letters with black background) as I was concerned it would look like a black hole.  I may still do that and age the black background by rubbing off some of the lacquer paint so it looks a little lighter...

The last photo is a more realistic version of the final data plate if it were inverted.

It does document the shift pattern:)