Author Topic: About to (attempt to) fire up the Europa for the first time  (Read 669 times)

Offline Lespaul166

About to (attempt to) fire up the Europa for the first time
« on: Sunday,November 22, 2015, 07:45:36 AM »
So a while back I posted photos of my 5k mile '73. Well bows about time to see if this baby fires up.

Looking for a list of recommendations of what to do or check before starting it up. I know it's recommended to replace the gaskets (head at the very least) and inspect the carbs. Any other recommendations?

It is all original. And sat for a majority of its life. That said at 5k it looks like it could start right up.

Thanks'

--
Andrew

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: About to (attempt to) fire up the Europa for the first time
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 22, 2015, 08:14:48 AM »
1. Drain and flush the cooling system. I made the mistake of not flushing out the cooling system on my S2 after it had been sitting for several years. I saw no rust particles in the drain pan so made the bad assumption that the system was clean. Bad mistake. I spent years chasing down a cooling issue that a radiator back flush finally fixed.

2. Turn the motor over by hand, make sure nothing internally is frozen. I see no need to replace the head gasket at this time.

3. Drain the gas tank and add fresh gas.

4. Prime the oil pump and change the oil.

5. Disassemble the Strombergs and blow out all passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure that the air valve diaphragm is not rotted and operates smoothly

6. Keep fingers crossed, first start up is always stressful. 

Offline lotus4me

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 22, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
what joji said......I would also use new sparkplugs......
I would disconnect coil/HT lead and turn over a few times to make sure there is some oil on bearings.....[just in case it fires up first time!!]

:)fred :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 22, 2015, 10:16:05 AM »
Fit new points or at least clean up the two surfaces that make or break the circuit.

Then check for a spark by turning over the engine with the plugs out, and see what gap the spark will jump. 1/4 should be enough.