Author Topic: 54/0651 My unexpected project.  (Read 10381 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 54/0651 My unexpected project.
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
You're a lot more adventurous than I - trying upholstery sewing! I would be proud of that effort! It looks fine! Of course, the basic car is coming along.

I see the car as different from a normal car, too, and it's not just that it is mid-engined or that it's fiberglass. It's a rather unconventional car and I think that is much more obvious when you build the car than when you just see it. I'm not describing what I mean very well. There are so many things that are different from a conventional steel car than from a Europa and maybe part of it is that the Europa is so simple! Whatever it is, the finished product is a thing of beauty, a joy to drive, and a real eye catcher!

Good luck with the rest of your build! Don't be shy about asking us questions.

Offline matmacwac

• If your not Bleeding ... Your not trying.
« Reply #16 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »
Feb 1, 2018
Spent the last two weeks disassembling and rebuilding the Renault 16. It seemed like the easiest engine to start with. It was definitely easier to get parts and gaskets for it than the cross flow. It still needs a water pump, distributer, and Holly carb rebuilt or replaced.
I apologize for the messy shop. I can be a pig when I'm busy.
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:37:40 PM by matmacwac »

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »
Nice looking motor. I was going to say something about the mess...  :)

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the compliment BDA. As you will see, I'm dating each post as a history of what I've done over the past year. I figure if I have to write it down this way I'm less likely to forget where the time and money went and where the scars and back pain came from.

Wil

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »
Feb 11, 2018
The Renault 16 fitted into the chassis.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »
Feb 18, 2018
The engine is complete. I bought a new Holly carb and a very expensive French distributer from Finland.

The chassis was rolled out, admired for a while, and then the time had come. The engine ran. I was thrilled. It was the first time I had tried to rebuild an engine and not ship it out. I ran it just long enough to put a timing light on it and set the idle then shut it down because there will be no coolant running through it until the body is done.   

The next step will be to trial fit the body back on. It has remained on the hoist since it was lifted a month ago.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:11:58 PM »
Feb 20-22, 2018
The body has been trial fitted and the search for spider cracks has begun.
I have been on the hunt for door hardware. It is very hard to find the original push button mechanism. As I mentioned before, this is a transition car. S1 button on an S2 door attached to an S1 body with no relief for your fingers to open the door.

I decided to have some fun and just convert it to door poppers by a remote key chain and have a clean 'No Door Handle' look. Its fiberglass and easy to go back if I change my mind.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »
Feb 26, 2018
The dash was shot after being left outside for 10 years with no windshield. So I figured, as long as I'm having fun, lets see if by reorganizing the instruments whether a navigation system could fit.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:31:51 PM »
March 3-13, 2018
The body has been removed once again and the paint stripping has begun. The shell will be moved to my buddy's house 5 minutes away. I will be doing the bodywork under his knowledgeable supervision. Peter has helped me with my other cars. I foolishly decided to paint the 1958 Tr3 black and Peter made me sand, prime, and sand again for 4 months. I would say "Can we paint it now Yoda" and he would just smile and say " Your not ready young one, KEEP Sanding." It was worth it. He is wise.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #24 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
March 18-20, 2018

I've tried to do some more sewing. Made some door panels and dash cover.

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #25 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:50:23 PM »
April 19, 2018
It has been a month. The paint is finally off. I am sure I will be feeling itchy for the rest of my life. Oh! It seems that this little Europa was originally born Red.
Did some more sewing at home when Peter didn't let me hang out at his shop sanding. I tried upholstering the center console and hand stitching new covering onto the steering wheel.
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:52:59 PM by matmacwac »

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »
April 28, 2018.
The first coats of primer have been applied and the sanding will begin again. (sigh)

Offline matmacwac

« Reply #27 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »
May 17, 2018.

The day before my birthday, I got to bring my beautiful Lotus Yellow baby home. I was so excited and couldn't wait to drop the Lotus emblem into its home on the nose of the car.
« Last Edit: Monday,February 25, 2019, 09:50:54 AM by matmacwac »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #28 on: Friday,December 07, 2018, 04:15:57 AM »
Great restoration and story. My complements for the level of work you do on your own. I’m very impressed. Can’t wait to read and see the continued story.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #29 on: Friday,December 07, 2018, 07:23:06 AM »
Didn't realize this was a retrospective at first.  Will still comment as if it isn't.  Not much use to you but hopefully useful to others reading along.

ENGINE:

The crossflow and the wedge take virtually the same gasket set, same bearings, timing chain, oil pumps, etc.  Mecaparts is a good source for those few different parts.  Lots of wedge distributors out there.  It's the crossflow ones that are hard to come by.

Yes, Renault engines are very simple EXCEPT for setting liner protrusion, aligning the head on assembly, and retorquing the head at the specified intervals.

Liner protrusion is an absolutely critical step to achieve a proper cylinder head gasket seal.  Follow the manual carefully and invest in a good dial gauge (or the factory tool if you can find one, Peugeot have a similar tool that works as well).

Second, there is a only a single dowel on the head so that you can twist it if you have to remove the head in service.  You can't lift the head as it may lift the liners and tear the paper base seals.  This means you have to use a removable guide to align the head (Steve Veris can supply the tools).  The head needs to be properly aligned or the distributor gears may destroy themselves.

Finally you need to retorque the cylinder head (and adjust the valves) after initial start-up and again at 1000 miles/1600 kilometres.  High performance crossflows also require retorquing every 20K kilometres.

So many Europas are found headless because no one reads the manual before tearing into them.  The head is ripped off for a quick gasket change and then the problems really start.  Properly maintained these are very tough, long-lived and delightful-to-drive engines.

BODY:

I'm not a body chap/ette but I have found out the hard way that early Lotus fibreglass is quite different from other fibreglass vehicles and boats out there.  It is poorly and thinly laid up.  This means it is very prone to gel coat cracking.  Unless properly repaired, these cracks will reappear, period.  Miracle fillers and primers will not do the job.  My body work came back absolutely, unbelievably gorgeous.  I'd never seen anything like it in my thirty years of car repair and restoration.  A few months in, the first cracks started to appear under the paint.  Now, it is simply covered with barely visible cracking under the paint and clear-coat.

Again, this is not my area of expertise but it was of the place I hired and they got it wrong.  In my opinion, the only way to stop the cracking is sand all the paint and fillers off, veil-coat the entire body and then build up from there. YMMV.