Author Topic: front brake lockup  (Read 759 times)

Offline 314159td

• Project Portfolio
Re: front brake lockup
« Reply #15 on: Monday,May 20, 2024, 11:51:20 PM »
I just went and shot Wilwood an email asking basically to confirm those assumptions. Will post their response if/when it comes.
Thankfully, a larger bore master cylinder is the one thing that's easy to find among this mess of part numbers.

Thanks for the lead on ANG, I saw Rimmer got them in stock as well, but at atrocious prices.
May go the rebuild route instead, as the 14s are also a bit heavier. No sense in adding mass (and unsprung!) to something that's already overkill. My Europa has a back exit on the calipers, which I haven't seen on a Girling before. Unsure if there's a reason for that? Seems like it would make bleeding maybe easier? Haven't dug into the front suspension yet.

Just need a spare set of pistons sitting on the shelf, in case they're ever gone-gone.

Hopefully those thoughts and Willwood's response may be helpful to someone in the future regardless.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:35:32 AM by 314159td »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #16 on: Today at 09:22:15 AM »
I think 7/8" rear cylinders from a Morgan +4 will work.  I have a pair lying around I plan on trying to fit sometime this year.

I'm not a fan of mismatching components and then using a funky valve to try and sort it.  Adjustable proportioning valves are not meant for street cars.

Offline 314159td

• Project Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:41:37 PM »
Willwood reply:

Troy,

I see no issue with you installing the proportioning valve backwards to reduce front lockup. A better option would be to use a balance bar with two different size single master cylinders, but you probably don’t have room for that either.

Just for my own information, what are the specs on the original Girling calipers used on these cars? Piston size? Mounting bolt spacing? Rotor thickness?

Wilwood has our own copies of several Girling calipers, but I do not know how close they are to the one Lotus uses.

Having popped a rubber brake line in traffic on a single circuit master cylinder car once, I hope you are at least upgrading to braided stainless flexlines.

Bryan