Author Topic: S1A-pocalypse  (Read 12844 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: S1A-pocalypse
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 08:49:14 AM »
Nicely done!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
The bonus is that once you've made them all you'll be able to set up selling parts on the Forum!  :D

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #92 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »
The bonus is that once you've made them all you'll be able to set up selling parts on the Forum!  :D

To my knowledge there were previously no replacement tail sections available for the Carello tail light S1. Now I just need to write a program to machine the tail light housings out of aluminum :) Then I could offer everyone here a complete package.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #93 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 07:08:21 PM »

Thanks Gavin, you are so right! My god it is a tedious affair!! I can't tell you how many times I thought the surface was ready only to find a little wisp of a low spot I had missed...
Haha . . .
Years ago, a mate of mine wanted me to make a mould for the whole front of his Spridget race car. I baulked because it was only to be a one-off . . and a heck of a lot of work.

I talked him into taping up the panel gaps and laying glass over the outside, reasoning that it'd end up ~1/8" over size. We'd then slit the whole thing down the middle and re-glass the slit, bringing it to size.
At that point we still had the various reinforcements needed & to smooth the outside for paint, but that was still easier. Of course, being a race car we were not looking for a perfect finish.

Always best to use PVA particularly on the first part pulled - belt and braces.
Subsequent parts invariable release more easily.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #94 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 09:39:35 PM »

Thanks Gavin, you are so right! My god it is a tedious affair!! I can't tell you how many times I thought the surface was ready only to find a little wisp of a low spot I had missed...
Haha . . .
Years ago, a mate of mine wanted me to make a mould for the whole front of his Spridget race car. I baulked because it was only to be a one-off . . and a heck of a lot of work.

I talked him into taping up the panel gaps and laying glass over the outside, reasoning that it'd end up ~1/8" over size. We'd then slit the whole thing down the middle and re-glass the slit, bringing it to size.
At that point we still had the various reinforcements needed & to smooth the outside for paint, but that was still easier. Of course, being a race car we were not looking for a perfect finish.

Always best to use PVA particularly on the first part pulled - belt and braces.
Subsequent parts invariable release more easily.

Do you have any pics of it? I would love to see it.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #95 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »

To my knowledge there were previously no replacement tail sections available for the Carello tail light S1. Now I just need to write a program to machine the tail light housings out of aluminum :) Then I could offer everyone here a complete package.

replacement S1 tail sections AND new Carello rear light units?  :beerchug: 

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #96 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »

replacement S1 tail sections AND new Carello rear light units?  :beerchug: 

I have been seriously thinking about it! I have 2 S1 and only one set of tail lights, what else is a boy to do??  :beerchug:

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #97 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 10:19:24 PM »
I haven't needed a tail section but there must be a requirement? (especially for repairs or for converting to the S1 style?)
The light units are made from a very average-quality alloy material and the chrome plate has almost always deteriorated - therefore new (quality) chrome-plated units would be a bonus!
I've been lucky and found rear light units and lenses (the lenses are in great condition, the units are 'good' but not great)

Mark   
« Last Edit: Monday,June 15, 2020, 01:31:43 AM by lotusfanatic »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday,June 10, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »

Do you have any pics of it? I would love to see it.
No pics, Im afraid.

But it got him enthused.
He later did the doors and boot by himself. He even went to the trouble of taking a flop of the inside of those panels. Those flops of 'inside' panels were then glued to the exterior panels. He weighed them and the weight saving quite substantial.

Offline JohnMcL

« Reply #99 on: Thursday,June 11, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #100 on: Thursday,June 11, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #101 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2020, 08:29:27 AM »
In preparation for the carbon twin cam parts I decided to polish up the S1 molds I took over the summer and decided to pull some parts off them! They look good!!! I need to tweak the thickness and add some meat to the rear. I might try honeycomb in the bumper area just to be fancy.

Looking forward to the carbon :)

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #102 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
In preparation for the carbon twin cam parts I decided to polish up the S1 molds I took over the summer and decided to pull some parts off them! They look good!!! I need to tweak the thickness and add some meat to the rear. I might try honeycomb in the bumper area just to be fancy.

Looking forward to the carbon :)

Fantastic work!  :coolpic:

Offline BDA

« Reply #103 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
They look great, Chuck!  :beerchug: