Author Topic: Elite  (Read 759 times)

Offline 61Elite

Elite
« on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 06:10:51 AM »
I have been asked a couple times, by members of this forum, to post a couple pictures of my S1 Elite; even though this is a Europa website.  This is my 2nd Elite.  I owned the 1st one about 35 years ago.  It subsequently wound up in Europe where it is being raced as a vintage racer.

Anyway, I bought the current car from a gentleman that was only about 30 miles from my home.  He purchased it in the late 60's drove it a little, burned a valve (common problem),  and decided to restore it.  Bearing in mind it had less than 20,000 miles on it. Left door damage and stress cracks. Anyway, it was totally disassembled (including the engine), and remained that way for the next 40 years.  A mutual friend persuaded him to sell it to me, because he was never going to get it done, and he new I would. I have included some "before" pictures.  The interior was almost completely gone.  The only thing left of the seats, was just enough rusty tubing to allow me to build a jig to make new seat frames. The front suspension bolts were fused into the frame.  I had to cut the bolts, and carefully,using progressively larger drill bits, drill out the bolts, until I could take off enough tension to drift them out. I could not risk damaging the subframe mounts, because the subframe is imbedded in the fiberglass monocoque. Gauges are all original rebuilt units. All switches are original and work (who says Lucas electrics are junk).  I built a custom wiring harness from wire obtained from British Wiring, so it was properly color coded. Made new wood rim on the original steering wheel frame.  The rear window was broken in the previous owners' storage, and I bought, what I believe, is the very last new glass rear window in the world.  Wheels are new Daytons.

The car is really fun to drive, but legroom is a bit tight for me.  I have about a 40 mile limit before my legs cramp up.  The Elan is so much more comfortable.

Offline BDA

Re: Elite
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 06:42:29 AM »
She's really beautiful! You did a fabulous job on her, especially considering the condition she was in when you started! Well done!  :beerchug:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 08:18:39 AM »
Wow, that is one lovely car.

One of the classic Lotus designs and still looks fresh today. Excellent.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »
That really is an impressive job. The number of meticulous craftsman we have here on this forum is amazing.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
That is gorgeous.  I'm so glad the car found an owner who could give it the care it deserved.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 01:18:00 PM »
Beautiful restoration! The Elite might be the prettiest Lotus, to my eye anyway. Were you at LOG39 in Sturbridge MA last summer? There were several Elites there. (My first time seeing one in the flesh.) I thought this blue one might have been yours before the white stripe got put on, but I see now it is slightly different. (Red interior, etc.)

I'm just dyslexic enough that RHD cars feel quite natural to me, but if my mind wanders I'd end up driving on the left side of the road, which would be a problem in Ohio, I'm sure.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,May 03, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Wow, what a beautiful car!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #7 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 12:50:03 AM »
Just fabulous! Thanks for posting the photos and history. I’ve been lucky to meet up with Mike Ostrov in The Bay Area and see his collection of Elites.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 09:41:40 AM »
What a lovely Elite. Such a beautiful car. You have done a fantastic job on the restoration. Thanks for sharing.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #9 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
I know it has been said before but that is a lovely car.  I would love to own an Elite one day.  It was so ahead of its time with the full monocoque body and they made it look so beautiful.  Thank you for sharing!
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline 3929R

« Reply #10 on: Monday,May 04, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »
That's a great story and an amazing restoration of a beautiful car! Thanks for sharing.
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA