Author Topic: Current owner 3600R  (Read 1009 times)

Offline edgefinder

Current owner 3600R
« on: Wednesday,February 05, 2020, 07:00:08 PM »
Hi, I signed up here a couple years ago but haven't been able to login, old an not computer savvy so just been reading. Just got internet access at my shop so tried my login and got right in.
I was at the Barber vintage motorcycle festival a few years ago in the museum to escape heat before going home. I've only seen a couple Elan's before and told my friend Ted thats about as good as it gets. I like small light and simple to work on. Did some research when I got home and realized the motors really crammed in there. It was enough to put me off not that I could justify one. A couple months later my grandsons friends family was moving back to Norman Oklahoma where I live. They were unloading stuff and the dad was telling me what the next load was and one item was a Lotus. I went over a couple weeks later and the driveway was full of boats, cars and one 1973 Europa TCS seriously in need of TLC. I got the fever bad as soon as I looked at the motor compartment. So many things were going through my mind. I'm a bike racer nut and the last car I really wanted is a formula ford. Not going to happen and I still have my first car a BMW 2002. It makes doing errands fun. So i'm looking at basically a formula ford street legal with an epic motor built by Colin Chapman . I told him thats cool but its gonna need some help. I hit the innernet and quickly decided with better brakes and shocks I could run for fastest lap at autocross and and if it'll take the hairpin at the kart track Oh Man Cheap Fun. So a couple days later i'm helping move and he says I gotta get rid of that and I say how much and its way low
Luke
I gave up on picture but i'll be right back

Offline BDA

Re: Current owner 3600R
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,February 05, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
I guess I missed your first post so...  :Welcome: edgefinder!

Still having your first car is pretty interesting and probably says a lot about your keeping your car going for many years! I love Europas, but I have to say that the sreet car that's closest to a Formula Ford if a Seven or Caterham, but a Europa follows pretty closely behind!

I hope you find your project soon and I look forward to seeing how your project progresses!

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,February 05, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »
Hi edgefinder!

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 12:05:29 AM »
 :Welcome: edgefinder!

Yup, you have the lust in your Veins. It only gets better. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventure. Here is a photo to keep you motivated  8)

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 05:01:39 AM »
 :Welcome: edgefinder!
Great intro story. Looking forward to some pictures when you get around to it. This is definitely the place to go for Europa knowledge, some genuine experts (not me) here.
Tom (aka Surfguitar58)

PS - Somewhere we have a forum members map. I suspect your will be the first pin in OK.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 08:49:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum edgefinder  :beerchug: . Sounds like you haver a new project. Congrats. Enjoy the forum.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
 :Welcome:
 Visit often and start a running log of your progress. I’m glad I did. Ask a lot of questions and share your ideas.
Welcome again
Dakazman

Offline edgefinder

« Reply #7 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »
It doesn't matter how I have these oriented im my files they come up like this.
My car and my not so rapid 3d modeler
« Last Edit: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 08:29:41 PM by LotusJoe »

Offline edgefinder

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,February 12, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
Thank's all for the welcome. Yeah I don't have illusions of it running with FF's but its got the right layout and loads of potential with minor tweaking. A car built for fun driving with a serious 5 world championships badge to celebrate. I told my brother when I found it and he said remember late 60's we would go from Houma to New Orleans with dad, cross the river and turn left on Airline Highway, we would pass the Lotus Dealer, do you remember when they had a bunch of Europas all different colors? I told him yes and I think one of the guys working there is on the forum. Was it you BDA?
Certified you set high standards. I'm pretty good with mechanicals and hope to get it looking good like that. The body will take longer and I will be driving it before thats finished.
There was another member in the Oklahoma City area but I haven't seen him post recently. I hope he's still around.
Luke

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #9 on: Friday,February 14, 2020, 10:23:02 AM »
Luke  :Welcome: great to have a guard dog for your Europa.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,February 15, 2020, 09:01:23 AM »
Luke,

Sweet machine and a very nice looking project!