Author Topic: Europa S2 540936 in Sweden  (Read 6183 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Europa S2 540936 in Sweden
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 05:10:35 AM »
Regarding bike motors in cars, I came across this guy on Youtube. Low budget approach. Very informative and entertaining video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU98_D2sE1U

The bike motor idea sounds great for a track car, but not sure I'd want it for the street. Driving around the supermarket parking lot a 6 grand RPM is going to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline lahi

« Reply #16 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:08:06 AM »
:Welcome:

That S1's body looks remarkably like an S2 from the base of the windscreen back ....! - Compare the sill area with pics of an original S1.
Any pics of the interior/floorpan/dash? - Plenty of easily identified S1 specific aspects that might help you understand exactly what you have there.

You could always clear coat the parts that were originally unpainted or paint them a colour to match their natural state if you are desperate to make it look 'original'.

Good luck with the projects and keep posting plenty of pics as you progress.

Looking at the body of the sorry S1 I think that the previous owner joined the front S1 section together with a S2 front section about in the middle. There are signs of a joint there. I think he crashed it quite good...
So the first 1/4 of the car is S1 and the rest looks like S2. The roof, doors, rear section is S1B or S2. Or perhaps it's S2 parts as the doors look like S2. The area for the electric window motors are there and I don't think S1B doors were the same on the inside as S2. The hole for the fan in the front boot (for air to the cabin) is on the right side as S1 had. On S2 it's to the left. So the joint is right behind that.

In the front there are fiberglass under the T-section and frame but in the rear there isn't.

Chassis number 460156 is stamped on the chassis, so that's S1.

Pics below! Last pic is from underneath just behind the T-section.

Offline lahi

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:22:00 AM »

No judgement here, except to say that sounds like a REALLY fun project! We (the forum) would all love more details in the 419 hp bike engine and gearbox. Are you planning transverse mounting? Chain drive? Differential? I am also a design engineer, so don't spare the gory details.

Oh, and by the way... :Welcome:

Tom

Sure does  ;D

The bike engine is a 1986 Suzuki GSX-R 1100 with bored Bandit cylinders, Hayabusa pistons (=1195 cc), Carrillo rods, Pro street ported ported head, bigger valves, APE Studs, Dyna2000 ignition, Garrett GT2871R turbocharger with ceramic bearings, Apexi AVC-R boost controller. 419 hp at 30 psi and revs to 11000 rpm.

Pics below with the engine in the bike. Gearbox is standard. I have replaced 3rd a few times because those gears broke but at 20 psi it may hold together better.

I plan for a longitudal mounting. Look at the layout in the bike engined Super Seven cars. They have an adapter instead of front sprocket. They mount the prop shaft directly to that adapter, and the other end to the differential.
I plan to do the same but without the prop shaft. Adapter directly to the flange of the differential. I plan to use the differential together with rear suspension from a Miata (because I know people with Miatas...  ;) )

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:26:11 AM »

That S1's body looks remarkably like an S2 from the base of the windscreen back ....! - Compare the sill area with pics of an original S1.
Any pics of the interior/floorpan/dash? - Plenty of easily identified S1 specific aspects that might help you understand exactly what you have there.

You could always clear coat the parts that were originally unpainted or paint them a colour to match their natural state if you are desperate to make it look 'original'.

Good luck with the projects and keep posting plenty of pics as you progress.

Looking at the body of the sorry S1 I think that the previous owner joined the front S1 section together with a S2 front section about in the middle. There are signs of a joint there. I think he crashed it quite good...
So the first 1/4 of the car is S1 and the rest looks like S2. The roof, doors, rear section is S1B or S2. Or perhaps it's S2 parts as the doors look like S2. The area for the electric window motors are there and I don't think S1B doors were the same on the inside as S2. The hole for the fan in the front boot (for air to the cabin) is on the right side as S1 had. On S2 it's to the left. So the joint is right behind that.

In the front there are fiberglass under the T-section and frame but in the rear there isn't.

Chassis number 460156 is stamped on the chassis, so that's S1.

Pics below! Last pic is from underneath just behind the T-section.

It sounds like you have a real frankenlotus there!  :)

Offline lahi

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:27:26 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun! What kind of machines do you have at work?

Here's a picture of one of our machines. It's a CMS Ares machining center. Working area of 5x2.2 meters. We have 7 of these and 2 a bit smaller  :)

Offline lahi

« Reply #20 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »

It sounds like you have a real frankenlotus there!  :)

Haha, yes, it really is. So if I restore the S2 (which is really nice and I have all original parts) to it's original specs, I won't feel bad to build a fun track toy of the S1 "hybrid"... That car can't really become original anyway.

Offline lahi

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »
Regarding bike motors in cars, I came across this guy on Youtube. Low budget approach. Very informative and entertaining video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU98_D2sE1U

The bike motor idea sounds great for a track car, but not sure I'd want it for the street. Driving around the supermarket parking lot a 6 grand RPM is going to attract a lot of unwanted attention.

Tom

Thanks! Really entertaining. Creative guy  :)

No, I don't think the bike engined car would be fun going to the supermarket  :)) But as a track car, or a hard core street car just for the winding roads far from the cities, I think it can be really fun.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #22 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »
Those are later S2 doors.  Early S2 doors still look like S1 doors but also have electric windows.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #23 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 04:22:31 PM »

Iahi , glad you found your way here . Post often. 
Dakazman

Offline lahi

« Reply #24 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 10:58:07 PM »
Those are later S2 doors.  Early S2 doors still look like S1 doors but also have electric windows.

Ok, thanks. How can you tell they are later S2 doors? What's the difference between early and late S2 door?

Offline lahi

« Reply #25 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 11:10:26 PM »

Iahi , glad you found your way here . Post often. 
Dakazman

Thanks!

I'll try to post as often as I can! Really like this forum  :)

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #26 on: Thursday,February 06, 2020, 11:36:50 PM »
It really is great here! Good luck with your project. That looks like you have a lot of space in your garage. I am deeply envious! I have young children as well and they are always buzzing about. Trying to keep them away when I was stripping the body was a nightmare! All the best.

Regards,

Peter

Offline dakazman

« Reply #27 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 05:15:51 AM »

Ok, thanks. How can you tell they are later S2 doors? What's the difference between early and late S2 door?
[/quote]

Early S1 doors - no quarter window- push button door open latch.
 Early S2 doors - two piece window- push button door open latch
Later S3           - two piece window. Door handle with no cutout in rear panel.

Mirrors came with the cars however the location and type are frequently customized . Take a lot of closeups of engine and all items, from different angles as it will help during reassembly.

Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #28 on: Friday,February 07, 2020, 06:17:00 AM »
You can tell by the interior of the door.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #29 on: Saturday,February 08, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »
Looks like a lot of fun! What kind of machines do you have at work?

Here's a picture of one of our machines. It's a CMS Ares machining center. Working area of 5x2.2 meters. We have 7 of these and 2 a bit smaller  :)

That machine looks very nice! Would love to have one in my garage ;D What industry do you work in mostly? I am looking forward to your progress! Especially the 3d scan and molds.