Author Topic: My 72 Europa SS  (Read 36589 times)

Offline Sofa King

Re: My 72 Europa SS
« Reply #210 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 06:14:57 AM »
It could very well be the relief valve. Unfortunately I need to pull the motor to get to that also.

From what I have been told, 10psi at idle is low for an LS. It could survive indefinitely, but I’m worried that it is symptomatic of impending doom. My Miata and my Corvette both have the exact same engine and I have two trucks with the 5.3 liter version and all idle at 35 to 40 psi hot.

I really want to believe that it’s ok as is but “experts”  that I trust are telling me that I have a problem.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #211 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 06:23:08 AM »
This is a long shot, but maybe worth checking before pulling the engine; I had a Ford V-8 that broke a rocker arm nut, dislodging the rocker arm and allowing the cam to spit the lifter out of its bore, resulting in nearly 0 psi oil pressure. Might be worth checking if the valve train is still intact. Unlikely, but just a thought.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #212 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 06:37:27 AM »
I can definitely check the rockers before I pull the engine.  Didn’t it make a good amount of top end noise?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #213 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »
I can definitely check the rockers before I pull the engine.  Didn’t it make a good amount of top end noise?
It happened during a start-up. I noted no oil pressure and shut it off. However, during the diagnostic process I did start it a couple of times and it made no undue noise. Once the rocker arm nut stripped (a new Competition Cams piece) and the rocker arm became separated from the push rod, there was really nothing to make any noise, just an intake valve that wasn't opening. There was a pretty lumpy cam in that engine, so unless on the road and under load it could have well gone undetected.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #214 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
I had a valve spring break on a 350 Chevy. It would alternate between jamming against itself and working and overlapping itself and not working. Really gave me an odd combination of running good then bad, but with a lumpy cam is sounded extra nasty on 7 cylinders.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #215 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »
Made it to a local car show. ( proof that it can move under its own power.) Last show before the engine comes out!

Offline BDA

« Reply #216 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 07:16:53 PM »
I'll bet your car got a lot of attention!  :trophy:

Now the real work continues...

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #217 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 07:36:33 PM »
Looks great SofaKing! You will be happy to pull the engine so you can rectify any problems for driving later on.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #218 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
The women thought it was cute, the guys thought I was insane, everyone asked how I can get in it! I enjoyed myself thoroughly!

I hope that the problem becomes apparent when I get the engine out. It should come out easily, but the engine was in the chassis when I mounted the body, so I’ve never put it in or removed it with the body on. I designed it to come out the bottom. Hope I didn’t overlook anything that might get in the way.

Offline BDA

« Reply #219 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 08:38:48 PM »
I realize I have a somewhat more conventional Europa but I find the guys are pretty interested. In general, the girls are much less so. That suits Mrs. BDA just fine!  :)

Good luck on pulling your engine and fixing your oil pressure situation!

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #220 on: Wednesday,May 29, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
I also have an LS1 powered Miata. Most guys immediately recognize that it is not an ordinary Miata and stop to talk. The Europa attracts attention, but many guys don’t realize how “wrong” mine is. The plus side is that the Lotus usually attracts interest from a more knowledgeable crowd.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #221 on: Thursday,May 30, 2019, 06:55:34 AM »
Looks good at the car show.

Europa's certainly attract attention. At the car shows here I find I tend to get very Lotus educated folks asking technical questions. Also lots more interest than the swarm of 911's that drop by. At the grocery store and mall I get women wanting to go for a ride or at least sit in the car. Why didn't I buy this when I was 25?

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #222 on: Monday,June 03, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
Engine is ready to come back out!

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #223 on: Tuesday,June 04, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
All the way out!

Offline BDA

« Reply #224 on: Tuesday,June 04, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »
That was fast (or it seemed so from my chair)! Good luck on finding and fixing the oil pressure problems. Hopefully you find actually evidence rather than be reduced to replacing something because there's nothing else to do (I didn't say that well, but I think you know what I mean).+