Author Topic: My 72 Europa SS  (Read 36100 times)

Offline Sofa King

Re: My 72 Europa SS
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,November 07, 2018, 05:29:14 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments!
So far I am just shy of 3 years on the build, but I bought the first shell in 2012. I bought a second car for some of the parts that I was missing and a 99 Miata that was stripped except for the suspension and steering column. It took me until 2015 for my parts stash to reach critical mass so that I could get going.

My interest in the Europa started back when I was in high school. My best friend had one of the first 240Zs to come into the US and while everyone else was cruising around in muscle cars we were rocking the Z! One afternoon we came up behind the first Europa that I had ever seen. Black with fender flares and wide tires. We chased him down the Main Street of our town well above the speed limit, suddenly he took almost a 90 degree left turn, we could only wave at him, there was no way the Z was making it! I’ve wanted a Europa since that moment!!
Because of the Grassroots Magazine Challenge, I got into putting big motors in little cars. I’ve done an RX7 with a Chevy 350, a 5.0 Miata, an LT1 Porsche 944, 2 - LS1 Miatas and a LS1 Spitfire. The Europa seemed like a natural progression! I also liked the fact that while you can find hundreds of V8 Miatas, there are only a handful of V8 Europas and very little information can be found on those! I also like that the GKN car used the Rover V8, which was an aluminum GM designed engine, so technically the LS engines share som DNA with that one! (May be a stretch but go with me ! :P)

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,November 07, 2018, 07:13:39 AM »
 :Welcome: Sofa King!
Very impressive build, congrats! Hope to see it in person at LOG 39. I echo the call for more build details! Will you be racing this beast? I'd love to see a video of this car being put through its paces at a track. What did it end up weighing?

Tom (aka Surfguitar58)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,November 07, 2018, 07:21:01 AM »
I’m still doing some sorting. The oil pressure is lower than I want, but it might just be the gauge, and I need to get it dyno tuned to get the fuel tables where they need to be before I drive it in anger. I definitely plan to track it when it is ready.  Although, even with the changes I made, getting me and a helmet inside will be a challenge!
As to weight, I haven’t had it on a scale yet, but my estimate is between 1700 and 1800 lbs.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 07, 2018, 07:24:09 AM by Sofa King »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,November 07, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
 :Welcome:
Welcome Mr Sofa King. That is a very impressive project you've put together. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #19 on: Thursday,November 08, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
Started fabricating the side skirts today. My goal is to lower the body visually and give it a more current look, but keep some of the original belly look.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #20 on: Thursday,November 08, 2018, 05:32:37 PM »
Great looking Europa!

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #21 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
Working on the side skirts got me thinking about fiberglassing again, so I thought I would post some of the photos from the body mods part of the build.
The wheel arches were cut out and moved forward 9.5 inches:

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #22 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »
The hole was filled with a chunk taken from the opposite side of the second car from right in front of the wheel. It has almost exactly the right shape, since the lower portion of the body is almost symmetrical from front to back.
« Last Edit: Saturday,November 10, 2018, 01:07:14 PM by Sofa King »

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #23 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Then just glassed it in. If you look closely at the front of the wheel lip, you can see that it drops in relation to the original chin. That prompted me to cut off the chin and lower it approximately 2”.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #24 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »
The backs were easier .... kind of.  I cut out a section of the red body leaving an extra 3” of fiberglass in front of the wheel opening. Then I layed it on top of the yellow fender so that the wheel opening was moved back 3”. Then I traced the outline of the red piece onto the body and cut out the original wheel arch. The red piece fit right in and moved the opening back the 3” that  I needed to accommodate the longer engine and trans axle.

Online BDA

« Reply #25 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
Interesting details of some of your body work. Clever stuff! Thanks!

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #26 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
I wanted / needed to flare the fenders, but I wanted to keep the original quirkyness of the squared wheel openings. So I cut off the stock lips and held them 3” away from the body with metal strips and self tapping screws. Then used poster board to template the flares.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #27 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Transferred the template to scraps of leftover fiberglass, and tech screwed them in place.

Offline Sofa King

« Reply #28 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 07:59:02 PM »
Then glassed them in and final shaping with short strand filler and bondo.

Online BDA

« Reply #29 on: Friday,November 09, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
More great pictures, Sofa! Thanks for filling us in!