Author Topic: My Neighbor, the County, my Garage and Me  (Read 1002 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: My Neighbor, the County, my Garage and Me
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,March 19, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
That is a garage worth fighting for Joji, hope it all works out.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,March 19, 2022, 06:43:57 PM »
I began escaping CA in late 1989.
Your travails are an illustration of why.
Purely by coincidence my last trip out was the day of the Loma Prieta quake.
Sadly, irrational CA expats have been taking control of Nevada the last few years, trying to remake it into everything they fled. :(

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 08:21:20 AM »
Would a sprinkler system really be useful in a wildfire situation?

We have similar issues in my neighborhood. We live in a watershed area so we have to maintain a certain percentage of permeable land. Neighbors have found out that additions like sunrooms or even a larger front porch were denied because it reduced their permeable land too much. On neighbor was not allowed to cover a part of his backyard with gravel because it was not permeable enough!

I hope you have a successful resolution for your garage!

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 01:54:46 PM »
Would a sprinkler system really be useful in a wildfire situation?

We have similar issues in my neighborhood. We live in a watershed area so we have to maintain a certain percentage of permeable land. Neighbors have found out that additions like sunrooms or even a larger front porch were denied because it reduced their permeable land too much. On neighbor was not allowed to cover a part of his backyard with gravel because it was not permeable enough!

I hope you have a successful resolution for your garage!

About 10 years ago, during one of our years of multiple wildfires, I watched a TV video of a neighborhood being destroyed by fire. Embers from a fire would enter an attic through a vent and cause any flammable items in the attic to catch on fire which in turn cause the roof to burn from the inside out. The roof would burn and the embers spread by the wind would travel to the next house and cycle would continue. I doubt any sprinkler system in the ceiling would be of any help in stopping the fire in these circumstances.

Thanks, I'll have a current status in Chapter 4. As of this week, not totally resolved but should have confirmation in a few days. We shall see.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,March 27, 2022, 06:19:13 AM »

Chapter 4 - Ended with a whimper

The final inside inspection was the last signoff for the garage checklist. After getting the garage cleaned up of the construction mess and  finished looking as I could, we called for the final inspection. The inspector who showed up was not our normal inspector who did the previous inspections and signoffs so we didn’t know what to expect from this new guy. He spent 10-15 minutes looking over the garage plans, asking a few questions, had a quick look over the garage and signed off the last box on the form.

From this point on, I was looking for something from the county that I had fulfilled the permit requirements and they had closed my case. I wasn’t expecting a ticker tape parade but was expecting some type of formal letter that my garage was legal and not leave the homeowner hanging. About a month later, I received a form from the county assessor's office  requesting information on type and description of the new construction, cost, size and total cost. A week after I sent that form in, I received a supplemental property tax bill for the new construction. Could this be the sign that I am finally legal? To confirm this, I had my permit manager (my friend who did the original construction) contact the county office. He was informed that my code violation case was closed out with the  final inspection signoff and no further action was required on my part, my garage is  legal.

Chapter 5 - Current status & Final thoughts

Looking back on it now, I probably shouldn’t have done what I did. It would have been impossible to anticipate future building code changes and with an illegal structure, grandfathering any changes would not apply in my case. If the installation of the sprinkler system was all that needed to be done, I could have gotten away with maybe $25k in additional cost just to meet code. The stucco and a new roof were additional expenses that were not needed for final signoff. Unfortunately the setback fiasco threw a wrench into the process and increased the final cost. One good thing about adding a garage is the increase in the assessed value of the property although my property taxes went up a small amount which was to be expected.

With this nightmare out of the way, I can finally go whole hog on modifying the garage for greater flexibility and ease of working inside. I moved most of my parts storage racks outside while I plan on building a storage shed later this year. As much as I hate to do this, my motorcycle riding days are over and I will be selling off most of my bikes. This will free up additional storage to move my remaining cars inside. Future plans include installing a Max Jack lift.  Lets hope there is enough time for me  to take advantage of the garage. I enjoy peeking inside other peoples' garages when they post photographs, I thought others may feel the same with mine.

Picture 14 -  Main 20’x30’ section with small 10’x15’ assembly/work room in back. Enough room to fit an additional three more cars inside if I wanted to, I probably won’t

Picture 15 - Lots of clutter along the side that needs to be cleaned up and more lights. The four LED lights from Costco are OK for general lighting but will need task lights for working on the cars.

Picture 16 - My 20’x20’ side wing. There are three Europas hidden in the mess, can you spot them?

Picture 17 - There may be room for another four post storage lift, haven’t decided. The slab in this section was reinforced for such a possibility

Picture 19 - Most of the storage racks were moved outside until a storage shed can be built later this year.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,March 27, 2022, 07:03:55 AM »
 :pirate: :trophy:
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,March 27, 2022, 07:18:08 AM »
I have to say that after your last construction project, you have an indomitable spirit to consider another one!

That looks like a really nice garage! And you have some really nice things in it. I know selling your motorcycles won’t be fun but it will give you some valuable storage/work area.

I’m glad everything was finally resolved so that most of your original plans were preserved. I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,April 02, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »
  Grumblebuns,
    I too love looking into people's garages.  :beerchug: Love, Love, Love.
  I'm glad that's over for you. I thought the same thing when I got the CO, Certificate of occupancy, from the inspector. He actually said he would have given it to me a month earlier.  :huh:
   Do you plan on painting the walls and ceiling, or covering the plywood with sheetrock? My entire garage is covered with 5/8 fire rated sheetrock. just heat detectors run to the main fire detection for obvious reasons.  a battery powered smoke alarm is installed for piece of mind.
I wish I had the fire suppression your county required.
  When is the hobbist paint booth coming, or is that against the rules?  :FUNNY:
 dakazman

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #23 on: Sunday,April 03, 2022, 06:41:33 AM »
The biggest relief was being able to get the cars out of the weather and back under cover. With the help of a friend, I'm moving the last car back into the garage. Two or so years outside took a toll on all of the cars parked outside.

Still undecided about the wall covering. I've always liked the rustic unfinished look of the rough sheathing and may leave it alone for now. The only downside to the wood is that it doesn't help with the overall lighting. The drywall on the ceiling was the best thing I could have done in regards to insulation. Along with the insulation in the walls it has kept the garage around 15-20 degrees warmer  than the outside this winter. I'm hoping it will do the same this summer on the other end.

Don't give me ideas on a spray booth. There's a plan afoot to build a car port on the other side of the garage. It could be set up as a temporary paint booth.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #24 on: Sunday,April 03, 2022, 05:16:33 PM »
  I thought it didn’t rain in California… but out in the sun will take its toll also. Our friends in the north really suffer with the water getting into the cracks in the glass and freezing,  expanding the cracks.
I ran 3 sets of 6 led fluorescent fixtures in my garage and it really helps.
  Shelving and cabinets come in time . I don’t want to bring up epoxy paint for the floor. 🥱
 All in all , it looks fantastic. Take your time to breathe a little.
Best wishes
Dman.