Author Topic: It's time to Fly the Flag  (Read 1909 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: It's time to Fly the Flag
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,March 24, 2020, 11:28:05 PM »
Take a look at Italy, Spain, France and Germany and where they were 5 or 10 days ago.

Governments need to be proactive, not reactive.

I feel quite relieved the UK is in lock-down. Other countries must follow, or international re-infection will happen. We must all work together in unison to get rid of this silent killer
I'm in total agreement Alex, and likewise I was also relieved when our government finally announced additional measures this week.

It really annoys me that the UK had advance warning of this from China, Italy and other European countries yet we did nothing to prepare the population.

I know there are now plans to draft retirees/dental staff/vets/etc into service but that smacks of desperation. The grand "herd immunity" plan wasn't a credible plan of action, it's a consequence of a pandemic that kills off a section of our society dressed up as a method of dealing with it.  To paraphrase it's "infect 'em all, let God sort 'em out".  But given that some of those dying off are going to be the very people treating others, teachers looking after schoolkids, etc, it doesn't impress me much.

On a slightly different tack, how are your brother and his family doing Lou ? I'd guess they have settled into a routine by now but it's still a very unpleasant period for anyone.

Brian

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 05:07:01 AM »
Brian,
 He's fortunate to be located in a small rural town, away from a populated city center. Among many others, dealing with the restrictions to normal life. Shortages for daily essentials and limited exposure outside are the routine. The hospitals and medical response system are near critical stage. A three thousand euro fine is now in place for non essential travel and gathering's violations. Italy,  for it's larger group of senior citizens are finding it very hard to convince the young that they are indestructible.

The silver lining to all this is how most everyone is pulling together, balcony flash mobs, music and caring for the friends and families of others.

We discussed things Europa also, extra time has afforded a few projects to be planned, like a rear discs conversion perhaps and extra wheels and tyres.

Hope you, and everyone here on this site stay healthy and vigilant...Hey, I just read that Prince Charles tested positive. This germ does not discriminate!...God Bless!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
At least gas is down to $1.12 litre.

We're down to $0.68/litre here! Unfortunately, following directions, I'm not doing much driving so haven't taken advantage of the low price. I last filled up more then two weeks ago at $1.14/l

I've been very impressed with the degree of pro-activeness of our government. The province is in a State of Emergency. All parks, beaches, and hiking trails are shut down. Violation is a $1000 fine, and if your car is found in the parking lot of a provincial park or beach, it will be towed. Groups of larger than five are not permitted, and fines will be handed out. The premier got peeved when he observed crowds of self-centred morons not following directions, and congregating in crowds at the parks. Pretty much all restaurants and coffee shops are shut. Many manufacturing companies are shifting to production of medical items needed for the pandemic. The government has initiated huge compensation packages for people who can't pay rent, medications, etc. Banks have deferred mortgages for a couple months, and the government has deferred tax collection. It's all quite impressive.

It's refreshing to see these types of actions globally, and instils a whiff of hope for mankind, when money is generally more important than people. I find all of this quite fascinating.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »
That's good to hear Lou, I wondered if he was out of the way of the main areas and it sounds as if he is. I'd imagine by now they've got a routine set up to keep safe so let's hope the infection rates starts dropping soon.

The community spirit is something that we've noticed over here as well, or at least locally.  We live just outside a small village with only one shop, one pub and one school, so you can tell it's not so big.  But since this started the "Friskney Community" on Face book, once the home of only a few, has grown considerably as folks have started using it to keep in touch and offer help to the older ones here.  Even I created a Facebook account, something I swore I'd never do - that ice you can see must be Hell freezing over !

I find it reassuring to hear from you guys in other countries and how we all seem to be heading down the same path in tackling the problem. And how we all seem to have the same few in our societies that have trouble understanding why !

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
My eldest son is a policeman in Western Australia.

They have been told to expect lock-down within a week.

Normally Australian quarantine laws are very strict.

I expected them to do this quicker than most other countries.

Offline BDA

« Reply #20 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »
Sadly, it seems that we might have been a bit hasty in celebrating Italy's reduction in deaths. Today (Friday) they logged the highest number of deaths so far. I know we all keep Vic and his family, as well as the Italian people as a whole, in our thoughts and prayers and can't wait for their pain, as well as any we may feel, to end.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #21 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »
 I saw those reports as well Jim, and it's very sobering. Not what anyone wants to hear and personally I expected to see a downturn after all they've been through.   Life in Italy must be horrendous at the moment, let's just hope that it's nearing the end and we see higher survival rates soon.

Brian

Offline 4129R

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 01:02:30 AM »
We had daily updates at 17.30 from Boris Johnson our Prime Minister, the Health Minister, and the Chief Medical Officer telling us to keep apart and self isolate.

Guess what?

They all appear to have caught Covid 19.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #23 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 02:01:37 AM »
Considering how all they do is talk to each other you have to wonder at why they think that meeting in #10 round a table and then going home to their folks is really the way to be doing things.  Tell the country to close everywhere and not meet more than 2 at a time but it's ok to shove the critical folks running the country shoulder to shoulder around a table.

It makes you wonder at times how bright these people really are.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 06:24:17 AM »
Considering how all they do is talk to each other you have to wonder at why they think that meeting in #10 round a table and then going home to their folks is really the way to be doing things.  Tell the country to close everywhere and not meet more than 2 at a time but it's ok to shove the critical folks running the country shoulder to shoulder around a table.

It makes you wonder at times how bright these people really are.

Royalty too !

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #25 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 06:38:12 AM »
Front lines...

A snapshot at Parma medical center... not only are the patients at risk, today it was reported that the staff has lost forty doctors who have perished.

Why the surge in deaths? and why infection rates continue to rise.

A recent study has shown that in the initial phases of discovery in the Lombardy region (which was first to limit travel restrictions)...many infected residents left for the south and other provinces.

I fear that we will see similar instances...in America. If we cannot control the hot spots (NYC),
 a comprehensive travel ban will be put into place where no state crossings will be allowed.

I pray I am wrong...ld 

Offline BDA

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 07:52:37 AM »
I keep hearing of very positive results from using hydrochloroquine. It's pretty much given out like candy for those at risk of malaria and for treating malaria and arthritis so it's very safe. I know not everyone should take it, but it seems like they are not nearly as aggressive with it as they could be.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #27 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 09:00:10 AM »
A recent study has shown that in the initial phases of discovery in the Lombardy region (which was first to limit travel restrictions)...many infected residents left for the south and other provinces.

I think that's a normal reaction, I would probably do the same myself. If symptoms don't show for anywhere up to 5 days then I can understand someone wanting to get themselves and their families out of the region. China was a lot more forceful in restricting travel from what I recall, but that's an authoritarian regime for you.

It's very sad to hear of the deaths of doctors and nurses, but it underlines that even those who know all about safety precautions are not invulnerable and when we're tired, we all slip up somewhere.

Brian

Offline 4129R

« Reply #28 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »
China was a lot more forceful in restricting travel from what I recall, but that's an authoritarian regime for you.

In N Korea, if you broke the quarantine lock-down, they shot you.

I suppose that saves the expense of ventilators.

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
Yesterday, I got this ad from my great great grandfather's music store in New Orleans. It was apparently published during the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918. I thought it fit in with our current situation. I've attached it below. I guess there's nothing new, we just go through similar situations over and over...