Author Topic: Great Roads: New Zealand Edition  (Read 366 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Great Roads: New Zealand Edition
« on: Sunday,January 12, 2020, 07:36:24 PM »
Anyone on this forum from New Zealand? I just spent the last 2 weeks exploring the South Island and driving the length from Te Anau to Picton on beautiful twisting mountain roads, wishing I was in the Lotus instead of our sad little rented Toyota minivan. What spectacular roads! The top end speed limit is 100 km/hr but curves are marked with a “suggested” speed reduction down to 15 kph on some hairpins. The road surface was smooth and well maintained everywhere we went.

There appears to be at least 1 Europa on the North Island that shows up as a picture on the Club Lotus New Zealand web site, along with a handful of Elises. Any Lotus would be a blast to drive around here.. We just started our North Island journey. Lots more people, fewer twisty roads and more traffic cops so far, but still great driving country. I guess will have to content myself with making childish motor noises as I clip the apex and accelerate out of the turn in the Previa, until my wife tells me to cut it out. (Sigh...)
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

Re: Great Roads: New Zealand Edition
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,January 12, 2020, 07:54:36 PM »
Sounds as beautiful as I've heard that it is! Just make sure to make the sound of double-clutch downshifting into the turns and tell your wife send her attention elsewhere!  :)

Offline TCS4605R

Re: Great Roads: New Zealand Edition
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 12, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
Beware - they have ‘speed trap’ cameras on the North Island.  They got us!

Tom