Author Topic: Ford vs. Ferrari  (Read 4246 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Ford vs. Ferrari
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »
Alex, so along with your stable of Europa restoration projects, you have a real (or replica) GT-40?? How very cool! Can you tell us a bit about it?

A continuation Superformance GT40 made in South Africa.

Roush 459 bhp 5.6 litre V8.

Gulf colours, sky blue and marigold.

GT40P2194 chassis number.

Difficult to drive in traffic.

Difficult to drive fast on undulating roads, your cannot see over brows, and they cannot see you coming.

Difficult to get away at T junctions unless you are at 90' to the road, as rear side vision is impossible.

No creature comforts at all, bare inside, no spare tyre, no radio, no opening windows, no door locks, take the steering wheel off to get out.

Goes like a bat out of hell, weighs about a ton, and sounds gorgeous, so I am told.

295/70/15 rear tyres, Wilwood brakes, Quaife 5 speed gearbox/transaxle with Porsche internals.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
It sounds like a beast! I wouldn't be able to stand the non-opening windows because it gets way to hot here for that!

The GT-40 Mk II is a great looking car. I like the Mk IV even better but if I would really want a replica of a Chaparral 2F (without the wing).

My guess is that having the GT-40 is a dream. Congratulations for realizing it!  :beerchug:

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
4129R:   :beerchug: Hats off to you my friend!  Would love to see a photo. 

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
As requested:-

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 10:32:40 AM »
Nice!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 10:51:20 AM »
Oh yeah! Nice indeed.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 11:07:56 AM »
Love the orange rims.  Perfection!

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,November 23, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »
I was surfing on Netflix this afternoon and found that Adam Carolla also did a documentary on Carroll Shelby. He was a lot more interesting than I expected. Since a fair amount of his story is tied up in Ford's battles at Le Mans, there is a bit of film "borrowed" from The 24 Hour War but there is a lot of other material too. As in The 24 Hour War, there are lots of comments from members of his team, drivers, members of the Ford family, etc. Bob Bondurant also had some things to say. [unfortunately, he didn't take the opportunity to comment on his contribution to my racing career but thankfully, he also didn't mention the shape my car was in when I showed it to him!]

Another well done documentary. I think if you have any interest in racing in that era (I was a Chevy guy then and had no use for Fords) I think you'll enjoy it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,November 23, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
I was at the Simeone Museum today with a good friend. They had an example of the cars featured in the film to look at and then they took them outside to run them for “Demo Day”.  Fred Simeone gave a nice talk on the history of Ford and Ferrari’s racing programs. Hearing them being driven was very cool. Great way to prep for watching the movie tonight!

I shot some video of them running outside. Will edit and post when I have time.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 07:04:26 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,November 23, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
Thanks Certified! You reminded me that I went to Amelia Island when one of the featured marques was Ford GT. I talked to the guy who owned the yellow #2. I was surprised when he told me that the engine was basically stock. With mufflers, he even drove it on the street. In fact, he let his son go to the prom with his girlfriend in it!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #25 on: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 04:37:17 AM »
Went to the movie last night with my wife. The most important aspect of the film is that she liked the story line and found the film interesting. Her comment afterwards as we drove home was “I’m glad you don’t race anymore”. (I totaled an Exige S in the rain at the track.  Hit the Armco spinning backwards at speed after I “found” an oil puddle from another car in a corner. Took a month for my black and blue spots to disappear from the five point Harness and HANS device due to impact).

I thought it was well done with a nice balance of how a lot of guys get into racing but can’t afford it and the big brand companies who throw money at their racing programs with abandonment. The internal politics of Ken Miles driving the GT40 at LeMans was new to me. They really toned down Carroll Shelby’s persona. Remember, this guy had six wives.....

The actual racing footage was interesting. The dramatic wheel to wheel shots were a bit over the top, especially the side glances of the drivers looking at each other at 200 MPH. I don’t think so.....

I wish they would have gotten a bit more technical on the car development, but it was enough to understand engine and suspension improvements and the need to last 24 hours. I’m guessing the constant shots of Ken wrenching under the car succeeded in painting the picture.

The character development of Enzo was a tribute to him. Honorable and focused.

My biggest grin of the entire film was when Carroll takes Henry Ford II for a “test drive”.  Brought back memories of when I would take a first timer on the track to show them “the line”. I always made sure they went to the bathroom first. Most people have no idea of the rate of speed or the ability to corner at high speed. Especially when your power sliding through a corner. Or just tapping the brakes before a hard turn to set up the balance of the car while everyone else was slowing down significantly. Yup, you get a lot of respect after one of those drives.

I could not imagine driving flat out four hours at a time. I’ve been to Petite LeMans twice and had a very interesting conversation with a driver for BMW (he will go un-named) during his rest between his seat time. I asked him what it was like to drive at top speed at night when you can’t see anything. He told me for the first hour he is scared out of his wits. Has to force himself to keep the throttle to the floor. Completely overwhelming when your on the track and can’t see anyone in front of you as the headlights aren’t bright enough to see far enough down the road at the speed your traveling. When your following someone’s tail lights it easier, but you get sucked into following them and not making your own decisions. Passing is an out of body experience at night and totally terrifying.

All in all the movie was well done. I’m glad I got to see the GT40 and Ferrari in person earlier in the day. It added a different dimension to watching the film.
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 10:46:19 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #26 on: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 04:47:47 AM »
Alex, so along with your stable of Europa restoration projects, you have a real (or replica) GT-40?? How very cool! Can you tell us a bit about it?

A continuation Superformance GT40 made in South Africa.

Roush 459 bhp 5.6 litre V8.

Gulf colours, sky blue and marigold.

GT40P2194 chassis number.

Difficult to drive in traffic.

Difficult to drive fast on undulating roads, your cannot see over brows, and they cannot see you coming.

Difficult to get away at T junctions unless you are at 90' to the road, as rear side vision is impossible.

No creature comforts at all, bare inside, no spare tyre, no radio, no opening windows, no door locks, take the steering wheel off to get out.

Goes like a bat out of hell, weighs about a ton, and sounds gorgeous, so I am told.

295/70/15 rear tyres, Wilwood brakes, Quaife 5 speed gearbox/transaxle with Porsche internals.

Very cool car Alex. No-one says it has to be practical. Do you track it? I’m sure big grin every time you get into it and start it up.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #27 on: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 08:10:05 AM »
Looking forward to seeing "Ford vs. Ferrari", hopefully in the next week. I watched 'The 24 Hour War' last night. What a wonderful movie and the archive footage was incredible.

Another GT40 photo, the Sebring 12 Hour winning MKIV driven by Bruce McLaren and Mario Andretti.

Offline BDA

« Reply #28 on: Sunday,November 24, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
They really toned down Carroll Shelby’s persona. Remember, this guy had six wives.....

It certainly sounds like they did tone down his persona! In the Netflix movie about Shelby I mentioned earlier, several people claimed that nobody really knew how many times he had been married. One story that was told was that he was married to a woman by a friend who was the justice of the peace. Only he wasn't really a justice of the peace! And that woman actually did divorce him!

I neglected to mention the name of the Shelby movie. It was Shelby American. It should be a great addendum to both or either The 24 Hour War and Ford vs Ferrari.

Thanks, Certified, for the description of night driving. It wouldn't have been a surprise to me that it would be a couple orders of magnitude more difficult than day time driving, but it seems I underestimated it. It sounds way beyond hair-raising! Keep in mind that the Mulsanne Straight was, at the time of the movie, 3.7 miles long and Ford GT40 MkIVs and Ferrari P4s were racing on the same track at the same time as Austin Healey Sprites and consider determining the difference between Sprite tail lights and Ferrari tail lights in the middle of the night at 200 mph!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #29 on: Monday,November 25, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
BDA:  Thanks for mentioning "Shelby American."  I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  Wow! And I thought I was married and divorced a lot (a dismal 3 LOL).  I guess being a race car giant trumps being a rock star. :trophy: