Author Topic: Ford vs. Ferrari  (Read 4248 times)

Offline literarymadness

Ford vs. Ferrari
« on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
I saw the film Thursday night and really enjoyed it.  Could have done without the CGI but at least it wasn't over abused. Iacocca Shows the Deuce some slides of what modern automotive style was really about and the first slide was a Lotus Elite and the second slide was a Ferrari 250 GT.  Curious was anybody else on the forum thought of the movie.

Offline BDA

Re: Ford vs. Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »
I haven't seen it yet but I have to say that the smooth faced pretty-boy from Massachusetts Matt Damon, physically at least, would seem a strange choice for the grizzled, leather-faced Texan Carroll Shelby!

I do intend to see it in spite of the fresh-faced Damon.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 05:59:28 PM »
Having crewed on SCCA races for 40 years, enjoyed the movie but they needed some ‘crew’ input to get the details correct.  Going down the Mulsanne straight, you have the throttle wide open - not backing off and look at the car next to you, then put your foot back into it.  Also, I don’t believe they changed out the whole front suspension when the brakes failed - rotor and pads yes, but not A- arms.  Brake rotors will glow red under hard braking, but the red goes away when you release the brakes - they don’t continue glowing all the time.  The LeMans movie with Steve McQueen was much more authentic.  My two cents worth.

Tom - 74 TCS - 4605R

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »
McQueen's Le Mans was actually recorded during the race and I think I remember something like the camera car came in something like 9th in the race.

Hollywood can be counted on taking a great true story and making mediocre fiction. As I said, I haven't seen it so I am in no way saying that's what happened in this movie. I saw Rush in the theater and remember liking it a lot. When I saw again at home, I still liked it but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I think it will last longer than Grand Prix but as good as Rush is, the real story was still better.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 09:19:30 PM »
In the 1966 movie "Grand Prix," Graham Hill, Richie Ginther, and Phil Hill portrayed fictional drivers in the film. And the list of mostly uncredited stunt drivers drivers for the film included Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren, Bob Bondurant, and Lorenzo Bandini.  Talk about realistic driving scenes.  No CGI back then. Both Bandini and Bondurant's characters  are portrayed in "Ford vs. Ferrari."

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
Ok, now that you've mentioned Bob Bondurant, I have to tell my Bondurant/Europa story!

My car was originally metallic green and after sitting out in the New Orleans weather for a year anow and a half, the paint looked horrible! But that's one reason I got a pretty good deal on it. Almost immediately after I bought it, I went on a road trip with a college buddy and one stop was going to be the Sonoma Valley to take Bondurant's racing school.

At the opening of the first class, Bob welcomed us to the school. Then he asked who had the Lotus Europa. I said I did and he said, "Let's go take a look." As we walked to my car, I tried, and I'm sure I failed, to make reasonable small talk with a famous race driver. When we got about ten feet away, Bob says, "Looks nice" and then turns around and goes back into the building!

Oh, well...  :P

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 18, 2019, 10:27:07 PM »
Ah!  But if he could see your car today.   :pirate:

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,November 19, 2019, 06:07:07 AM »
Yes! It looks much nicer now!  ;) Bob, if you're reading this, let me know when I can show it to you!  :D

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,November 19, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »
When I first heard Matt Damon would be playing Shelby, I though "Great choice". I think I may be the only one who did. Nonetheless, I still think it's a god fit.

As for the movie itself, I have not seen it. I'm not in a hurry to do so either. Hollywood has frustrated and irritated me over the years with their poor efforts on car based movies. Everything is dumbed down, embellished, and glorified, seemingly in an effort to make the story watchable. This is a shame because the stories can stand on their own without hollywoodification. It has come to the point where the more personal interest I have in a story, the less likely I am to watch a Hollywood movie of it. It will only irritate me.

Like most of us on this forum, I seriously dig this era of motorsport, and especially the Ford/Ferrari saga. General curiosity will compel me to watch it someday, but it won't happen for years.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,November 19, 2019, 01:58:09 PM »
Bainford:  Here is a link concerning the accuracy of the film.  Seems as if a lot of the details were correct.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/ford-v-ferrari-fact-vs-fiction-le-mans-ken-miles.html

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,November 19, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »
I invited my wife to come with me to see the film and she said yes. Must be because of the actors, not the content.....

Offline cwtech

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 04:55:21 AM »
Both my wife and I saw the movie yesterday afternoon.

Technically perfect?  --- No, but enjoyable none the less.

I was impressed with Matt Damon's portrayal of Shelby, although certain events may have been embellished or altered for the movie.

I also liked Christian Bale's performance as Ken Miles. 

Two thumbs up, here! 

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 08:00:02 AM »
I just finished watching The 24 Hour War directed by Adam Carolla on Netflix. It's very good! It's a documentary that starts by comparing Ford and Ferrari from their beginnings. There are stories told by people in almost every aspect of the battle from mechanics to drivers to family members. There is a lot of backstory that is told. So much that Carroll Shelby is almost a secondary character in the drama. Since I haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari yet, I can't compare them but if you have any interest in the Ford v Ferrari battle or that era of endurance racing, I'm certain you'll enjoy it.

My only complaint is that when they discuss the 1965 Sebring race, they don't mention that Chaparral won.  >:( But I really liked it overall!

I should add that Bob Bondurant was one of the drivers who told some of the stories. Unfortunately, he didn't mention meeting me or seeing my green Europa!   :FUNNY:
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 12:13:43 PM by BDA »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
I was going to rock up and see the film in my GT40, but the cinema is in a dodgy neighbourhood, and the car has no door locks.

Plus you have to park about 4ft away from any other car or you cannot open the doors to get out.

I will have to go in my ordinary Golf R32.

I plan to see in iMax in the next few days.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday,November 20, 2019, 08:59:18 AM »
Alex, so along with your stable of Europa restoration projects, you have a real (or replica) GT-40?? How very cool! Can you tell us a bit about it?