Author Topic: Fourm members with racing expierences...other than Europas  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Fourm members with racing expierences...other than Europas
« on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 01:33:14 AM »
Most of all members to this forum... I would venture to say are a little long in the tooth, say between the ages of 40-70. With apologies to the younger generation, I would expect us elders to have had the time, funding, and wisdom to have had some seat time in other racing forays in our lifetime. With this in mind, I would like to solicit the group for your personal stories in organized competition. This would include any racing with a professional sanctioned body...driver schools are permitted... No rented go carts please!

Post a picture of your ride, with or without fenders is fine, a short bio and how long you raced.

Jim Russel Championship, Lotus 51...1976, 8 events
SCCA Formula Ford Zink Z10...1976-83, National licence, 19 events
Derek Daly Academy Orion FF2000...2007, 4 events 

« Last Edit: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 04:05:14 AM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline Clifton

Re: Fourm members with racing expierences...other than Europas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 04:23:24 AM »
I raced in ASRA off and on from 93 ish to 2004 then I did NASA  2006-2008. Many SCCA autoX's with the car too.

Short AutoX vid https://youtu.be/73LwB1RsZrI

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 07:05:38 AM »
I raced in ASRA off and on from 93 ish to 2004 then I did NASA  2006-2008. Many SCCA autoX's with the car too.

Short AutoX vid https://youtu.be/73LwB1RsZrI

I like the rising sun paint work !

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »
I was a track rat for about 10 years, including a 5 year membership at New Jersey Motor Sports Park. Mostly my two Lotus Exige S and some in my Porsche 997 C4S. Retired from the track in late 2014. Usually did about 15 to 20 track days a year. Even got to drive an Evora with anger on the Lotus track in Hethel.

Along with my passion for the track, I shot a lot of video of various events which are posted on my YouTube Channel. Here is one from a Lotus Cup event at NJMP.

https://youtu.be/m6Dor3J_z3Q

Karting.....you would be envious of my Karting garage and in particular my Lotus kart. It was a very cheap way to get my two son’s into racing.

Tracks I have competed on:

Watkins Glen
Summit Point
New Jersey Motorsports Park (Thunderbolt & Lighting)
Monticello Motor Club (Full Course)
Spring Mountain Motor Resort (got my Lotus advanced driving certification here)
Lotus "new test track" Hethel

« Last Edit: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 09:46:38 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
I don't think I can compete with Certified, Clifton, or Lou but I had my time on a track.

After taking delivery of my TCS in '75, I went on a road trip with a college buddy. The real reason for the trip was for me to take Bob Bondurant racing school. It was a great school back at what was then Sears Point outside of San Francisco. The next season, I drove an Opel Sedan in Showroom Stock B and actually won a race!

After that I bought an F Production Spridget. It was a good car. I won several regional races but for some reason, I kept falling off the track in nationals. I know now that the starter got so hot that even with the big Die Hard battery I used, it would never restart. I raced that car for two years. One race was particularly interesting. For some reason I had opened the clutch and brake systems and had to bleed them at the track. I didn't have a bottle with a tube so I just had my crew pump the brakes and I opened the bleed valve. That worked for a while but after a few laps in the race, it was obvious that they were not bled very well at all. The race was at an airport track and on the way into a turn at the end of the front straight, there was a repair in the concrete that went across the entire track. The repair wasn't flat and there was a small dip in it in my braking zone - there was no way I could brake later. Well, as I say, after a few laps, I was pumping the clutch and brakes to bring them up going into the turns. I hit that repaired area and maybe because of my pumping or something, it flipped my car over. I looked up and saw the track. It all happened so slowly that I had no problem grabbing my shoulder belts to keep my arms from flailing around. I ended upside down in the grass on the inside of the track. I don't know how many times my car flipped over but it was far enough away from where the flip started I suspect it could have been 1 1/2 times but that's purely a guess. The funny thing - and fortunate thing - was that the car had fiberglass flares for all for wheels - when the tow truck turned my car over on it's wheels, there was no damage to the flares! Of course that was one of the races my girlfriend went with me to.

Then I bought a Lola T492 Sports 2000 car. My dream was always to race a sports racer (Jim Hall and the Chaparrals were my inspiration). I did race it Road Atlanta once - the old Road Atlanta. I was never able to do the bridge turn at all. For those who had never seen the old track, the back straights goes downhill a bit just before it bends to the left and goes uphill, bends a bit to the right, crests at the apex and goes quickly downhill to the last turn. It really was a dangerous feature of the track because it was totally blind and if you did it right, you were going pretty fast out of that turn to the downhill part of the track. My problem with that turn wasn't the danger - I was too stupid for that - my problem was braking. Your brakes work REALLY well going uphill and by the time I got to the apex of the turn at the top of the hell, I was crawling. Every lap I tried to screw in the courage to brake later. I well understood what I was doing wrong but I just couldn't bring myself to brake late enough to take that turn right. I raced that car for two years but not as much as the previous two years. I was finally motivated to finish college and then I got married and racing took somewhat of a back seat. I sold it to an IMSA racer who was planning on making it into a coupe for endurance races. He sent me a picture of it but I think he gave up on it long before it ever got built.

Over those five years, I raced at:
Sears Point (Bob Bondurant racing school)
Road America (drivers school)
Mid America (near St. Louis, I don't think it's there any more)
Ponca City, OK (a showroom stock enduro street race in a park - Le Mans start!)
Baton Rouge, LA (street race in the pouring rain)
Lake Charles, LA (airport track)
Texas World Speedway (in College Station, TX. my "home track" as I probably raced there more than anywhere else)
Dallas, TX (airport track across the highway from DFW airport. It's where I flipped my car. It's long gone)
Road Atlanta (great track, loved to see the Runoffs there!)

It was pretty tough because the closest race, where they were regularly held (Baton Rouge was a one-off) was Lake Charles and it was about a five hour tow from where I lived in New Orleans.

I was able to dig up a few pictures - unfortunately not the Lola so far. The last picture was taken at the end of a race I was in. For some reason, I don't remember how I did in it!

Edit: forgot Clifton had posted earlier and fixed a typo or two.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 01:41:38 PM by BDA »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
I don't think I can compete with Certified or Lou but I had my time on a track.

I was able to dig up a few pictures - unfortunately not the Lola so far. The last picture was taken at the end of a race I was in. For some reason, I don't remember how I did in it!

Yeah, I guess you were a bit distracted, loved that picture.

No four wheel track experience here, just 20 years of motorcycle road racing, mostly club events but four years of AMA, 250GP and 125GP two strokes. Favorite tracks were Sears Point, Road Atlanta and Mid-Ohio. God, those were great times.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline Clifton

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
GP bikes... I would love to see some pics of what you raced. 2 bike pics equal 4 wheels.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 04:23:14 PM »
So.....BDA is that your girl friend ? Every man’s dream at the finish line  :trophy: That one photo beat my entire track history.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 04:30:25 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,December 01, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »
That was not my girlfriend. It's been a long time but IIRC, unfortunately, I didn't know that had happened until I came into the paddock. When there was an opportunity to get a copy, I made sure I didn't miss it. I love the expression of the guy waving the flag! It is obviously one of my favorite pictures from my short racing career!  :)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 02:14:59 AM »
I was car 23, red and white, with a yellow square with a black X on the rear to denote a racing novice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlILzUw9TVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MpgnQcXX4

30 years ago, and I remember it well.

Austin Rover paid us all £500 to enter to cover the cost of the tyres and hotel.

T Pond was a works international rally driver driving a specially built, money no object car. P Slights was driving an ex-works World Rally car. The rest of us had "normal cars" built to what we could afford. When new, the basic car was around £45,000. After Group B was banned, you could buy a new basic car for £16,500. They are worth upwards of £120,000 today. 

« Last Edit: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 02:19:18 AM by 4129R »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 04:43:03 AM »
4129R, impressive that you competed in a televised race and you still have the time sheets! Considering your car was a rally car, did you compete in rallies?

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 05:58:32 AM »
Wow! We have a pro amongst us! And on TV! I did win prize money at one of my races - $7.27.  :)

Offline 4129R

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »
4129R, impressive that you competed in a televised race and you still have the time sheets! Considering your car was a rally car, did you compete in rallies?
1981 Mini 1275 GT
1982 RAC World Championship Rally Toyota Corolla 1300. 3rd in class.
1986 RAC World Championship Rally Toyota Corolla GT 1600 16v. I was leading my class at the start of day 2 until I drowned the engine in a water splash.
1987-1988 6R4.  Lots of very fast fun.

National Rallies and International Rallies (Welsh twice, Manx twice, Ulster, Scottish, National Breakdown twice in Yorkshire) 1981 to 1988 when school fees x 4 came along.
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 08:34:32 AM by 4129R »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 08:36:56 AM »
Wow! We have a pro amongst us! And on TV! I did win prize money at one of my races - $7.27.  :)

I was paid £500 by Austin Rover to compete in that race. The tyres were £50 x 4. Profit made.

Toyota gave me free parts including 10 Michelin tyres that had done very little, and lasted me a season.
« Last Edit: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 08:39:29 AM by 4129R »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,December 02, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
Hats off from me. I think Rally drivers are totally bonkers and extremely skilled drivers. Not sure where the balance is, but I’m always impressed by Rally drivers. You guys seem fearless.....

I’ve never won a cent of prize money. I’ve got a bunch of trophies that cost an awful lot of money to win  :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: