Author Topic: NEC but lots of Lotus... (no Europa content)  (Read 646 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
NEC but lots of Lotus... (no Europa content)
« on: Thursday,December 17, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »
Hi folks,
I don't know if this link will work for everyone, but it's worth a shot. If you can get the site there are a couple of other 1960 Lotus references in their archive.

A bit late for our Europa era this film is all about Lotus in the 1978 Formula 1 season, background stuff, Chapman and the crew.  (16 minutes)

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/5489

Brian

Offline BDA

Re: NEC but lots of Lotus... (no Europa content)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
Thanks Brian!! Those were happier times - except for losing the race. I think Black Beauty was one of the most beautiful F1 race cars ever! It was sad to see the interview with Ronnie saying what a good season he was having knowing it would be his last. Did I understand correctly that the salaries of all the drivers amounted to something like 3M pounds! I guess that was a LOT of money in '78!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: NEC but lots of Lotus... (no Europa content)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »
I missed the comment about salaries but what did catch my ear was the one about the engines at £14-15K each and they had 8 IIRC.   Back in 77-78 I had just joined ICI as a metallurgist in their Research crowd and considered myself incredibly lucky to be commanding a salary of £4,600* which was an increase of almost 50% over my previous employer.   

So they were spending 3 years of my salary on one engine, then had another 7 as spares ! 

Brian

* of course as a single guy instead of dutifully saving that extra £1500 a year, I just went and blew it on an Elan. Actually, come to think about it, I blew it before I had it.....