Author Topic: Water in Fuel Tanks  (Read 350 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Water in Fuel Tanks
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 08:56:46 AM »
It would be great if you could isolate it to one tank, by disconnecting the second one.  It could be a step toward figuring it out.  Is there any way to see the water in the tank?  You could just isolate them and have a look after a big rain storm (conceivably).  I don't know if you could try to run it on only one if you wanted.  Probably.

I can easily isolate 1 tank at the T piece which is a copper/brass compression gas T.

There is no way of knowing if there is any water in the tank until you drain it, then in a see-through container, you can clearly see the two liquids with a line where they meet.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 12:11:18 PM »
It would be great if you could isolate it to one tank, by disconnecting the second one.  It could be a step toward figuring it out.  Is there any way to see the water in the tank?  You could just isolate them and have a look after a big rain storm (conceivably).  I don't know if you could try to run it on only one if you wanted.  Probably.

I can easily isolate 1 tank at the T piece which is a copper/brass compression gas T.

There is no way of knowing if there is any water in the tank until you drain it, then in a see-through container, you can clearly see the two liquids with a line where they meet.

Can you poke a tube down to the bottom of the tank and draw some fluid from the bottom, which will be mainly water without having to drain the tanks? That way you could try isolating both tanks. You could possibly leave them empty and hose down the car and see if any water gets into one of the tanks?

Could the water be going round the seal round the filler neck in the bodywork, and getting inside the rubber hose from the filler neck to the tank from the top?

Offline 4129R

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 01:18:04 PM »
Can you poke a tube down to the bottom of the tank and draw some fluid from the bottom, which will be mainly water without having to drain the tanks?

A. Much easier to drain the tanks through the drain plug, just jack the back up, which gets all the water to run to the front where the drain plug is located. That way, all the water comes out.

That way you could try isolating both tanks. You could possibly leave them empty and hose down the car and see if any water gets into one of the tanks?

A. I will remove the filler tops and the rubber hose connector to the tanks, and introduce resin to fill the tops of the tanks completely, through the 3" hole in the bodywork. 

Could the water be going round the seal round the filler neck in the bodywork, and getting inside the rubber hose from the filler neck to the tank from the top?

A. The hose connector is new and a tight fit, so no water can be getting into the tanks through the filler necks and caps. It must be getting in through the tank tops

Offline 4129R

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,May 22, 2024, 11:37:07 PM »
I have been giving this a lot of thought.

If only one tank is leaking, there will be more water in that tank, water from the bottom of that tank up to the outlet pipe, and half the amount greater than fills up to that outlet pipe, with the other half flowing through the connecting pipe to the other tank.

If both tanks are leaking, and one is leaking greater than the other, I will only find this out after I seal the top of the leaking tank, or the tank that leaks more.

The right hand tank had more of the 1 pint in it, (there was very little in the left tank) so I will start by sealing the top of the right hand tank.

I further deduce that to fill an empty tank up to the outlet pipe needs just over 1 pint, which seems about right.