Author Topic: Fuel Line Tee  (Read 462 times)

Offline Sherman Kaplan

Fuel Line Tee
« on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
Can someone please tell me where the tee is located that connects the two gas tanks on a twin cam?   I think the tee is on the right side very near the right fuel tank, but I'm not sure.   Unfortunately the lines were removed so I don't have anything to follow. Pictures of the fuel line routing always appreciated  :)

Also, I installed new aluminum tanks from SJ Sportscars.    I didn't notice when I installed the tanks, but the right tank was missing the drain plug.   I took a plug from one of the original tank and it fits, but the original plug is brass.    I looked online and it appears that brass and aluminum are not compatible.   Any thoughts?   If I need a new plug does anyone know the size and should I get steel or aluminum?  Any idea where to find a new plug (I got the tanks awhile ago from SJ and I think it would be easier to find locally)?

Thanks,
Sherman

Offline BDA

Re: Fuel Line Tee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »
Since you're pretty much starting from square one, you can put the 'T' wherever want. Mine is inside the frame.

So, does the left tank have a plug? I would assume that plug would fit both tanks. Chances are that they employ straight threads as opposed to pipe threads. You can get aluminum plugs at places like Aircraft Spruce (aircraftspruce.com). AN814 is probably a good choice but remember to use an O-ring.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 06:36:05 PM »
Thanks BDA.   When you say your is inside the frame,  do you mean in the Y under the coolant lines?   In the box of pieces that came with the car was a fuel hose attached to a tee.  There is a short hose attached to one side of the tee and a much longer hose attached to the other side.   This is how I figured that the tee goes near the right fuel tank.    Unfortunately, I don't really know if this is even the original fuel line.   

Great idea going to Aircraft Spruce.   

Regards,
Sherman

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
The parts manual shows it adjacent to the right-hand fuel tank, and that's where mine is.  It can be seen in the space between the tank and the chassis, below the coil.  As you just posted, short hose to the right tank, long hose to the US driver's side (that's the port side) tank.

I think the plug in your tank could be brass with little or no ill effect.  Consider the many brass fittings in your aluminum carburettor, for instance. 

It's mentioned here:  https://galvanizeit.org/design-and-fabrication/design-considerations/dissimilar-metals-in-contact  that "...a large anode area in contact with a relatively small cathode area is generally not problematic.", and the plug would be the cathode.  My tank is steel.  It was leaking when I re-commissioned it last year.  I realize that it had a plastic washer so I used a brass or bronze one like for an oil-pan plug and it worked well.  I would bet that the size is not anything uncommon.  Measure the thread pitch and diameter and check at local radiator shops, auto stores, or on-line.

Vince

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Thanks BDA.   When you say your is inside the frame,  do you mean in the Y under the coolant lines?   In the box of pieces that came with the car was a fuel hose attached to a tee.  There is a short hose attached to one side of the tee and a much longer hose attached to the other side.   This is how I figured that the tee goes near the right fuel tank.    Unfortunately, I don't really know if this is even the original fuel line.   

Great idea going to Aircraft Spruce.   

Regards,
Sherman

Yes. My 'T' is in the 'Y' area of the frame. I would replace all those old hoses anyway so make yourself happy with where you put your 'T'. It occurs to me that with the mechanical fuel pump, you would have a long and short run (I have an electric fuel pump mounted on the inside of frame so that's why my 'T' inside the frame). If you use regular rubber hose with hose clamps, make sure you can get to the clamps later.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,March 31, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »
Thanks Vince and BDA.   My questions are answered. The hoses I'm using are all new.   I'm  going to keep the tee near the right tank.   Aircraft Spruce has aluminum plugs and they are not very expensive.   

Sherman