Author Topic: JPS Serial Numbers  (Read 1770 times)

Offline BDA

Re: JPS Serial Numbers
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,March 12, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
And now you may have a point. I didn't know there was a difference between the VIN and chassis number!  :) Because I no longer have the original frame, I wouldn't be able to check.

I think we should all, including me, cut people some slack about many of the finer points about our cars. I've been impressed by the differences between the S2 and TC and even more impressed by my ignorance of the large number of differences (They look pretty much the same and their only real difference is the motor, right?). I've had my car since new and I rebuilt it about twenty years ago so while I might have some insights many might not have, I still find a lot of things I don't know.

I get some people, who seemingly should know better, who think the bump in my roof was standard. Some people relate the Lotus Fords of F1 and Indy and think that's what I have since it says 'Ford" on the cam cover. People ask me all sorts of what I consider strange questions about the size of my engine or the number of cylinders. The guy who sold me my first one said he used to race in F1 and that the front anti-roll bar just needed to be tightened when the stud had broken off the shock. I was told many years ago that the rear toe was not set accurately at the factory and could have been as much as 1/4" or more (I've since disabused myself of that notion, but of course it's irrelevant, too.).

In other words, put your pie away and save it for if you or I ever see the salesman who told me he drove F1!  :)

Offline Footer

« Reply #16 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 05:36:41 AM »
surfguitar58
I'll be happy to share my slice with you.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #17 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 05:52:56 AM »
I try to be ignorant and learn from others. Keeps me out of trouble that way........

Offline BDA

« Reply #18 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »
I claim great expertise at the former and work at the latter.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #19 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »
   Hmmmm,  yes we all want knowledge!
Out of 100 or so builds how many members of this forum have an original? I like information straight from the proverbial horse . Maybe even Lotus motors .
Dakazman

Offline Footer

« Reply #20 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 05:47:25 AM »
Interesting.  I looked at the listing today and it's described as a 1973.  Who's writing the copy?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #21 on: Sunday,March 15, 2020, 06:02:08 AM »
When I was searching for a black JPS Europa with one of those plastic number disc’s I contacted Andy at Lotus to get some perspective. He told me the factory did not have the info on which serial number cars got the numbered disc. The JPS Memorablia (numbered disc, JPS jacket and other trinkets) were sent to dealers and they provided to new owners who bought the cars. I have heard there were only supposed to be 100 numbered disc’s but somehow 200 ended up being the number range.

I made the decision that buying a JPS car for a premium because of a plastic disc with a number was just not worth it (before I get slammed, I’m not a collector of original cars).

Last year I almost bought a wrecked JPS with the disc because the market was so frothy for this. Then my better senses took over (would have cost too much to restore) and I backed away.

As always, an original un-molested JPS Europa will bring the right value. Just make sure you keep it that way.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #22 on: Monday,March 16, 2020, 04:58:24 AM »
I am re posting this original document for our new members, as what Certified said...
the badges were a dealer promotion. There were no assigned chassis #'s for the commemorative plaque.   

Offline Kendo

« Reply #23 on: Monday,March 16, 2020, 04:02:18 PM »
5 MPH bumper. Mmhm.

So what were the low profile tyres? Still on 13" wheels?

Offline BDA

« Reply #24 on: Monday,March 16, 2020, 04:18:47 PM »
Back then, 5 mph bumpers really meant that if the car hit a wall at 5 mph, it would have no more than a certain value of damage. When I was younger and even stupider, I ran mine into an aluminum portable barrier weighed down with sandbags at probably 30 mph (possibly higher) with only some cosmetic distortion to the bumper so I don't think they were kidding about 5 mph bumpers!

The low profile tires they were talking about were the 175/70-13s in the front and 185/70-13s in the rear.