Author Topic: Tow hook  (Read 1584 times)

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
Tow hook
« on: Wednesday,November 06, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
I'm in need of a front tow hook on my Europa S2. Has anyone added one to their car? I'm guessing the only logical place to attach a hook would be to the front of the frame?
Thanks

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Tow hook
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,November 06, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
You would have to attach it to the front cross-member (where the closing plate bolts on with 3 x 1/4" UNF bolts.)

But that box section is quite thin and prone to rust, and you would have to find some way of attaching the fixing. Welding might set fire to the fibreglass, beware.

The strongest bits are where the bottom suspension arms attach with the long 1/2" bars which got right through the box section.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,November 06, 2019, 04:10:21 PM »
Don't use the suspension arm mounts.  That will apply a twisting load to the chassis.  Use the centre of the t-section, either low or high, not in the middle..  Make up internal braces out of 1/8" plate to spread the load.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 09:04:02 AM »
When I had my mishap with my fuse box i called the tow truck company they asked what kind of car then i said forget it ill push it home i didn’t see any place they could have hooked it without doing damages
I think i would bolt a small plate with a hook under the front skid plate it would srpead the load

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
Thanks for the input. A few things to consider before I go to work.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »
Never use a tow truck. Always request a flatbed truck. Have them load the Europa backwards using a nylon strap around the rear transaxle loop to the winch cable. The front wheels will need a board under them at the beginning of the ramp to get the car high enough over the front of the ramp.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 01:52:12 PM »
Webbing strap fixed, as already mentioned, to the bottom of the front box, I don't have the original chassis but you can fix through the original but worth putting some additional reinforcement inside to spread the load (again, as already mentioned!).
The webbing strap can be folded neatly to reduce its length and cable tied under the nose via some neatly drilled holes. - can do this inside the nose depending on where the strap is attached to the chassis but this would be harder to access with the front grill in place.

Have the above fitted on my car both front and back (rear is wrapped around the rear hoop similar to where Certified recommends to attach the winch cable of a flat bed truck) from when I raced it as you have to have recovery points for obvious reasons.
Would post some pics but I'm away with work and many miles away from my car atm....

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
Have them load the Europa backwards

I thought this was a cardinal sin, the reasoning is the engine cover latch/catch/etc doesn't work very well with the car facing backwards.  Once the latch/catch/etc fails the engine cover then opens with great velocity and smashes either the roof or the windscreen.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 03:19:55 PM »
I have seen some of the racing Europas with tow hooks coming out the front air intake for the radiator.  Not sure if they attach to the fiberglass with the load spread or to the front of the frame however.  I do believe the owner of the car in the picture is on the forum.  Mecky is his avatar name. I think you can kind of make out how he made the tow hook in the photos on this thread. http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=508.0

Ross
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 03:25:33 PM by Rosco5000 »
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
Have them load the Europa backwards

I thought this was a cardinal sin, the reasoning is the engine cover latch/catch/etc doesn't work very well with the car facing backwards.  Once the latch/catch/etc fails the engine cover then opens with great velocity and smashes either the roof or the windscreen.

Agreed, but you will note the Europa is out of the air stream due to the cab height. Plus we were driving all back roads, no highway speeds. And most importantly, I knew the integrity of both locks and didn’t worry about them opening.