Author Topic: Gear linkage issues  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Gmg31

Gear linkage issues
« on: Friday,January 04, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
I finished my restoration in March 18 and I’ve done 3500 miles. The gear linkage has always been a bit difficult but when I took her out last weekend it was clear that the situation has deteriorated and I no longer have first or third.   Given that the linkage itself has not changed I’m wondering what is at the bottom of the gear lever. It feels very much as though the lever just won’t go far enough forward and I’m thinking there may be some worn/broken bush that is interfering with the travel.

Any suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

Offline dakazman

Re: Gear linkage issues
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 04, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
Sorry gmg31 glad your driving the dream.
but someone may need more info. Just a heads up is your car a 4 or 5 speed , type gearbox?
Dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 04, 2019, 04:20:30 PM »
There is a two piece bushing where the gear shift lever is attached to the link.  Also, the gear shift lever bearing could be worn.  The photo is from RD enterprises.

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 04, 2019, 04:22:06 PM »
Bushing repair kit from RD Enterprises
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 05, 2019, 01:07:00 AM »
It could be the pivot point where it attaches to the side of the gearbox, where the long 1/4" bolt with the 7/16" head holds everything together.

Check there to make sure nothing is stopping full movement.

1st and 3rd would be movement backwards due to the gearstick pivot reversing movement.

Also check there is nothing fouling where the gearchange rod attaches to the gearbox i.e. between the rod and the chassis.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 05, 2019, 11:57:33 PM »
Well done on the mileage, 3,500 miles is plenty long enough for something to have fallen off a Lotus !   ;)

The usual culprit for a vague change has already been quoted, the bushes at the bottom of the lever do wear and give a sloppy change.  Not only fore/aft but also sideways movement across the gate is another symptom for that bush failing.

I'm guessing your shift linkage isn't the same as on my car (TC with 352 box) and is more likely to be one of the earlier designs with a sort of "T" pivot (Relay lever ?) in the middle and with plenty of joints in it ?  If so, from looking at the arrangement in the manual perhaps there's scope for additional movement if the securing bolt has loosened off. Given you've just completed a lot of restoration work I'd be surprised if there's any wear in those pivots/bearings, I'd look for something vibrating loose over the last few months. 

Likewise, if you replaced the bush at the base of the lever, it shouldn't have gone yet, it might just be the bolt working loose. Because I've got skinny arms I can get to the base of the lever through the hole in the central tunnel underneath the elbow/arm pad.  If you can do the same then you'll be able to feel for free play with one hand, moving the lever with the other ?  Properly adjusted there should be no discernable play between you moving the lever fore/aft/sideways and the lower rod in the tunnel.

Brian

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,January 06, 2019, 08:13:07 AM »
Thanks for your advice gents. Stripped it down today. No sign of bushes at all just loosely bolted together.  I’ll order parts tomorrow.  Cheers.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,January 06, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »
In 1978 my 1975 TCS had a very bad gear linkage, so it happens quite quickly if the parts wear.

In my case it was the joint right at the back which attaches to the gearbox rod.

Selecting any gear was just luck. The gap between 1,2, & 3,4 was huge.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,January 09, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
Well it turns out that the main fault on mine is the large rubber boot/grommet at the base of the gear lever. Too much play which doesn’t then translate into gear movement. Unfortunately this design is now obsolete because the system was upgraded. The width of the old gearclever is .75mm too small so a full upgrade is required. New billet gear lever, rose joint, plates, bolt and bush. Good job I’ve just got a new interest free credit card!!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,January 09, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
Having read all the horror stories about the shift linkage I made a commitment to replace every washer, bolt, spacer, unjoint in the linkage. I’ll know later this year if I was successful.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,January 09, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
... I have read many period road test where the linkage fail, fell off or developed lots of play.  Just saying this as even new and factory fresh they were prone to failure.  When I switched to a five speed, I converted to a cable shifter.  Shifts like butter and no issues finding gears.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #11 on: Friday,March 01, 2019, 02:29:24 PM »
Finally started the upgrade.  New kit has arrived, quite expensive but superb quality from Banks. Richard explained that the old style rubber knuckle becomes worn over time and most of my energy trying to select a gear was transposed into just wiggling a rubber linkage.   The new rose joint linkage is more direct But requires a new billlet gear lever as well. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #12 on: Friday,March 01, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »
I have the same. Can’t wait to actually try it on the road!