Author Topic: Replacing wood dash  (Read 2194 times)

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
Replacing wood dash
« on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
I'm thinking of replacing my wood dash this winter. I'll be making a template from the original and likely produce two new dashes, one for the original instruments and one for a set of SpeedHuts that I'll likely use.

Is it possible to remove the wood dash with the window and dash cover in place? I've been looking online and still don't have a definite answer.

Thanks

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Replacing wood dash
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
In my experience, early dashboards are not attached to the black crashpad, but later models 1974ish seem to have the crashpad glued and stapled to the back of the wooden dash.

Removing the early dashboards is just a matter of unbolting it, but getting the new dashboard in is very difficult because of the wiring, and because the ends around the eyeball vents are a very tight fit with the crashpad. I managed to damage 1 dashboard on the end levering it into place.

To get the crashpad out with the windscreen in place is a "challenge" as it is held by 4 long self tapping screws through the two demister vents, which are very close to the glass. Special ratchet screwdrivers would be needed. 

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
4129R..

Thanks for the info. I'm always up to a challenge.

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
My '71 S2 had the dash attached to the crashpad with some teeny tiny rusty screws - on the top, rear edge of the dashboard.  Removing those screws with the dash in place would be mighty tricky given how inaccessible they are. 

A question for you - how well attached is the windscreen?  Mine came out easily.  Too easily.  It was only held in with ancient butyl goo, which isn't very strong.   You might want to consider removing the windscreen and having it bonded in with modern adhesive. 

Or, you might decide that you can live with some minor damage to the crash pad, so long as it doesn't show. 
« Last Edit: Friday,January 11, 2019, 10:44:01 AM by gideon »

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
I'm not sure how easy the windshield would come out. Ultimately I would love to take the windshield out, reseal it and redo the chrome strips that are curved.

How much risk is there for breakage?

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 11:14:07 AM »
My late ‘70 S2’s dash was glued and stapled to the crash pad. Plus the four very rusty nails/screws into the demisters. My screen was just resting on the old butyl rubber. With screen out access to these screws was excellent. However, only about half of them came out cleanly.

Once out the staples were very rusty so didn’t put up much of a fight. The glue was brittle so it was very easy to get a sharp blade underneath and the tease off the dash.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #6 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
On my tcs, I just removed the four screws at the top and two at the very bottom, and the nuts holding the steering wheel bracket and corner braces.  Wiring and speedo cable would be difficult with no top access, but I don’t think impossible.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
1970EuropaGuy, I just thought I'd remind you that you should finish not only the front but also the back and edges to keep moisture out. I got this tip from the guy who made my dash (prestigeautowood.com). He makes beautiful dashes and takes custom orders (just in case you decide to buy one rather than make one).

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 11:40:51 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! I won't be driving the car for 3 months, time to get to work.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #9 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
HI:
I replaced my S2 dash without taking off the dash pad.
You do a lot of "on your back work(no outside comments).
I labeled with numbered strips all the connects and took a lot of pics because what looks obvious now may not in 1 month(or when ever) reinstall occurs.
Make any appropriate notes on a wiring diag (preferable blown up) of just the dash.
Take your time as its so easy to go &$###@## and wreck something.
It's a good time to check for corrosion as I nearly had a dash fire on a corroded amp meter connect.
Most of all:Good luck.

Offline gideon

« Reply #10 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »
I was able to just push the windscreen out from inside.  I didn't need the cheese-wire kit that I got from Harbor Freight.  The only risk of breakage was if we accidentally dropped the windscreen. 

See if you can get a look at what is holding the windscreen in.  Is there any spot where you could poke a very small screwdriver into the adhesive/sealant to test its consistency? 

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #11 on: Friday,January 11, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
Most of the reason that the dashboard falls apart is because the screen leaks.

I have taken out 3 and only kept 1 unbroken. Be very gentle if you take the screen out to renew the sealant.