Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 159401 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #960 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 05:27:27 AM »
  BDA, I agree. It gives you all these tiny nicks and scraps. That little battery bracket got me twice.
 The horseshoe shaped e-brake cable bracket /run was designed by a satist .

JB, I still haven’t called R&D back yet. The pipe in that picture was to short to reach the manifold, so that’s going back to the store, once they open for business 😕. I worked at my friends Minekie muffler shop and made a few myself and used the bender that had build cards to follow for different vehicles.
Sadly he sold the shop.

Glenn, I’m pressing on , came to far to quit now. I have plenty of fun jobs to do , the one in particular is putting in the locking seal in the back window. I got a little familiar with the tool , read and reread your thread . Still I pause on what direction push/pull and how to thread the seal in tool as it spreads the seal gap.  Starting at bottom and going clockwise seems more comfortable.

To all  , Let me introduce my Grandson, Levi David Springer.
Dave

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #961 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 05:55:29 AM »
Congratulations to you both!

Offline BDA

« Reply #962 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 11:30:28 AM »
Levi is a good reason for smiles all around! Congratulations to mom!

Offline Gary t

« Reply #963 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »
   ;D
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline dakazman

« Reply #964 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 02:01:48 PM »
  Thanks guys ,  mom and dad doing well and granny waiting now patiently to see him again.  I see a big tool belt in his future and maybe some doctor’s equipment. Cars , I’ve got a that covered or him 😂

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #965 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 05:09:49 PM »
  Not slacking today , I changed it up and installed the rear window locking strip. 3-4 man hours by myself. I learned a lot but could not find a easy way to pass on other than install it without a firewall or engine installed.  The good news is that it’s done. I did leave a little extra to trim after shrinkage.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #966 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
Wow Dave, I cant believe you were able to install the rear window on your own! Amazing! I was just getting caught up on your posts and ready to provide some insights and BAM.....your done.  Did you wrap the rubber molding twice with string?
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 05:12:43 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #967 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 06:37:39 PM »
   I actually removed the window seal that I installed last week because it did not come with a locking strip. I ordered one from R&D complete with the strip . It is the only way they sell them, and they are unique. As I removed the old seal I immediately pressed in the new seal only with the plastic stick. It went off without a hitch and I finished in about 1/2 hour. Then I went to install the locking strip with the tools I purchased off eBay. It didn’t go well but I got aquatinted with the tools. This is one thing I suggest anyone do before replacing the seal and definitely with the locking strip.
  Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #968 on: Friday,March 27, 2020, 08:47:25 PM »
You are the man, D'man!  :beerchug:

Most people wrestle (usually with friends) for hours to get their rear window in. Congratulations!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #969 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 12:58:24 PM »
  So another day of tunnel work and I finally got the e-brake to work 🤪 twice 🤬 one side jamming in sleeve . I removed the assembly, R&D here I come...👍

BDA,  here are my tips , pix 1 tool 1 , slow, while slowly rocking up and down and pulling backwards while pushing seal at tip down action 👎also pulls to much.
         Pic 2 my favorite pic 2 &3 while in the grove with the locking strip on top of tool if moving across , making a small c movement while pressing in the seal and pulling back. This works best in the two rounded sections.
    For the straight sections this is a piece of cake . First look at you seal locking channel if it ajar window is in straight. If seal looks like a small line , glass needs to be pushed out slightly.
    The easiest method with soap solution or leak detector fluid , push in the locking strip into the open channel strait in push in the angle that was a most difficult ( top / top bottom of window / bottom) do a run of four fingers. Then using the pic 2 tool and placing the tip just inside the window seal lip push in and drag the tool to meet the inserted side.
 Last 2 pics are the plastic insertion tool I used to get the window seal seated with plenty of soap solution and also walking in the corners.
 That’s all I got!
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #970 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
You put the locking strip in before you installed the window?

Offline BDA

« Reply #971 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
Nice tutorial, D'man! I hope I'll never need it!  ;D

A buddy of mine and I did mine probably forty years ago. We didn't have a real process. We just wrestled with it for a couple of hours till it finally it in. I remembered thinking several times that it was impossible.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #972 on: Saturday,March 28, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
Certified,  No 🥴
   I’m showing tooling and an example seal and strip. You should experiment off the car first. If you have a bad seal in an installed window DO NOT REMOVE THE WINDOW! You can easily order your matched set, remove the locking strip starting from where your window seal terminates ( top center) but only a little at a time. As you pull out the old seal you can start pushing in the new seal only .
  This method will hold the window in place without pushing out completely and holding it centered.
I started the window seal on TDC,working counter clockwise.  locking strip BDC. Counter clockwise.
Dakazman 

Offline dakazman

« Reply #973 on: Thursday,April 02, 2020, 05:46:34 PM »
  While waiting for an e brake cable I decided to start assembling the doors and window trim. It looked pretty simple sitting on my storage shelf’s. The lock mechanism must be installed early, so I cleaned and polished the lock assembly and the rods and anything that I thought might look and work better. I checked the template on the door lock cutouts and found it was to large. Made a template from transparent paper of the lock . Turned out a perfect fit with small adjustment. It can be copied because I placed a 1” scale on it, so print out and adjust as necessary.

. Handles first, door lock second.  Side view mirrors , yep.  Then I trimmed the door to accept the forward and aft window trim . I wish I smoothed out some of the glass repairs before painting and remove the old rivet bodies. I got all the trim in both doors ready to accept new seals , fuzzys and glass. I’ll report back later .
  The mod for the window travel will be also on the to-do list.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #974 on: Friday,April 03, 2020, 04:52:04 PM »
  Just moving forward,  slowly ... with my E brake arriving I thought I could get it installed but neighbors have a different idea.  So that’s just finished cutting out my lock assemblies.
I just noticed all the black mirrors ... 😂
Dakazman