Author Topic: S2 Window Switch Upgrade?  (Read 188 times)

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
S2 Window Switch Upgrade?
« on: Thursday,November 05, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
I'm working through the refurb / upgrade of the dash and have a question about the window switch.
I had read earlier that the switch uses both poles to share the load and reduce the wear on the switch (arcing / pitting). But looking at the details of the switch operation it looks like one pole is used for UP and the other for DOWN, no sharing of the load between the two poles. I would like to use both poles to both reduce the switching resistance (increase current) and improve longevity.
It looks like an easy modification to cut the two wires, on the switch, and use each pole of the switch in parallel. The drawing below shows the before and after conditions of the switch.
I only ask since this seems such a simple improvement to window operation that I must be missing something or others would already be doing it.
What do you think?
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline BDA

Re: S2 Window Switch Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 05, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
Normally, you use only one side of the switch at one time. There are six lugs but there are only three wires that connect to the switch. I suppose you could add wires to the existing wires to utilize both sides of the switch at one time or you could occasionally swap between the lugs on either side of the switch.

Here is a page that explains how to repair and maintain the original switches (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/electrical/switches.html) that should help you understand how it works.