Author Topic: Installing a Fuel Press gauge  (Read 415 times)

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Installing a Fuel Press gauge
« on: Tuesday,November 03, 2020, 05:55:20 AM »
HI:
I am off to the S2 to install a fuel pressure gauge.
The problem is the gauge base fitting has integral 3/8 males on both sides(ie can't change them out).
Since this vehicle is stored a couple hrs away from my house, in an area where UAP stores are not to be found,I want to get an idea of what needs to be done before getting there.
What is the "standard" line size on a 1470 S2?
From what I remember its more of a 5/16?
If I need adapters I want to buy them before I head up but I want to be sure they are the correct down size.
Any plan of attack would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline jbcollier

Re: Installing a Fuel Press gauge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »
Using a fuel pressure gauge as a diagnostic tool is fine but don't hook one up permanently.  You'll find that all gauge manufacturers only recommend them for temporary use.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2020, 06:44:51 AM »
I think I’ve seen Ts that accommodate multiple hose sizes. You just break off the barbs for the smaller hose sizes till you get to the size you need. If Ts aren’t available, you should be able to get straight adapters that work the same way.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2020, 08:37:44 AM »
HI:
Thanks for the advice.
The gauge is a Holley 1.5 inch job and reason I was putting it in is because I have a fuel press regulator up stream of it.
There is a 45 Weber on the car and it seems those have a float sensitivity as in too much press and out comes raw gas.
This happened to me before I put the reg on and since the car has been dormant I want a good idea of what press is on the intake.
I have the larger type of re and re gauge that is meant to trouble shoot the flow but I wanted something that was more of a constant check. 

Offline Mike Mileski

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,November 03, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
Holly makes a 0 - 15 lb. electronic fuel gauge so you'd only have to mount the sending unit and run a wire to the gauge. Much less "dangerous".

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/fittings_fuel_lines_and_gauges/gauges_and_components/parts/26-503

Mike Mileski
Tucson, AZ

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,November 04, 2020, 04:18:17 AM »
A word of warning.  If your gage is dampened (fluid inside), the accuracy varies significantly with temperature.  That is because the reference pressure of the gage is not atmospheric pressure but the trapped pressure inside the gage.  As the temperature rises, the trapped reference pressure increases.  Thus, the needle reads lower pressure.

Ask me how I know.
This small detail caused me to change electric fuel pumps multiple times.  To rectify, take out the gage rubber plug and let the oil out.  Leave the plug out.