Author Topic: $4 plastic welding  (Read 414 times)

Offline TurboFource

$4 plastic welding
« on: Monday,January 06, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
I bought my son new speakers for his car for Christmas. In the process of removing the rear package shelf the grating came apart
and one of the covers cracked big time. (The sun makes stuff brittle :BBQ:)Of course super glue didn't stick to it and the part is obsolete :headbanger: So I figured I would try to weld it. I went to Harbor Freight and with my 20% off coupon bought a soldering iron for $4 and change. I used zip ties for "welding rod". I held the cracked pieces together and "tack welded" them without filler material to hold them in place. I originally tried pieces of the grate material as filler rod but the zip tie worked better. I then welded them, I concentrated most of the heat on the zip tie until I had a small blob melted and then kind of swirled the zip tie plastic into the original plastic with the tip of the soldering iron (you have to be aware of how thick the part is if don't want the weld to come through the other side). It worked ! :trophy: I cut the mesh material out of the covers that came with the speakers and fit it into the holes I trimmed where the original grate material was. They look pretty good!

The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

Re: $4 plastic welding
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 06, 2020, 02:31:18 PM »
 Very clever, Turbo!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: $4 plastic welding
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 07, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »
Brilliant! Very resourceful solution.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor