Author Topic: 5 speed 1st motion shaft  (Read 684 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
5 speed 1st motion shaft
« on: Monday,August 27, 2018, 08:08:30 AM »
I am currently stripping 2520R, a 72 TC.

When taking the gearbox out, the 1st motion shaft got stuck in the spigot bearing in the back of the flywheel, and the gearbox became impossible to move back far enough.

Eventually I was able to move the shaft relative to the flywheel and get the shaft out of he spigot bearing, so the gearbox came out.

But the 1st motion shaft is now easily detachable from the gearbox, it just slides out.

Is this normal, or is there a clip somewhere in the gearbox which has come adrift.

Has anyone any experience of the mysteries inside the Renault gearbox casing?   

It seems the TC has a different rear gearbox mounting and chassis hoop arrangement which was modified in the TCS for easier gearbox removal.

Also, the yoke on the driveshaft spline has become stuck and will not move after the roll pin was removed on 1 side. I will need heat, a puller, and care to remove it without smashing the casing.

Now 5 days into stripping #7. Next week strip everything in the engine compartment including seat belt rear struts, petrol tanks, and rear suspension. Just like the last two I stripped, this car was a real mess with some very bad repairs done by POs.

Offline RoddyMac

Re: 5 speed 1st motion shaft
« Reply #1 on: Monday,August 27, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
There is a muff coupling on the input shaft. The gearbox end has a roll pin to retain it, and from what I recall the input shaft (flywheel/clutch side) is just a press fit into the coupling. I'm guessing that you might be able to "glue" the shaft back into the coupling if you were to degrease everything and use something like Locktite bearing locker.

Offline jbcollier

Re: 5 speed 1st motion shaft
« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 27, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »
The output axle is tempered but the yoke isn’t.  Try the usual methods to free it.

I’m a big fan of alternating light heat (propane) and freeze spray (can of “Dust-Off” held upside down. Use in a combination with homemade penetrating oil (1/2 acetone and 1/2 dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid).