Author Topic: What’s missing here?  (Read 834 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
What’s missing here?
« on: Wednesday,May 23, 2018, 08:15:13 PM »
The parts in the photo are all I have for 659R’s timing chain tensioner.  They were all bolted in place with the exception of the two components at the right. The adjuster was in the oil pan and the guide was above, resting against the chain.

I suspect the only part missing is a spring.   If that’s the case, springs are easy to come by and I can be back in business.    My question is ...  other than a spring are there other parts I’ll need?
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline jbcollier

Re: What’s missing here?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,May 24, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
Looks to be just the spring though there is a fair amount on wear on the “shoe.”

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 24, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
The majority of the where appears to be at the low end edges where it most likely had been rotated from the housing.  The chain seems very loose and I suspect the previous owner may have adjusted it too far.  Unless I can find a replacement for the plastic portion quickly and cheaply, this’ll have to do.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 24, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Here’s an update:  Thanks to a well sealed motor that held onto the parts, my junk box and JB, I’ve resolved the mystery of the timing chain tensioner, put it back together and installed it.   I have no idea of why and how it fell apart. The housing was bolted in place and there’s no unexpected damage except to the metal at that narrow end of the foot. It looks as if it “rolled” out of the housing with the chain.  Before I got it back in place, the only scenario I could come up with was that the tensioner had been at the limit of its extension.    As you can see in the photo, this wasn’t the reason.  Que in Twilight Zone music.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 24, 2018, 07:13:30 PM »
Hopefully that settles that and you'll be ready to go to LOG in Cleveland!