Author Topic: Vinyl trim  (Read 691 times)

Offline Sparkrite

Vinyl trim
« on: Thursday,October 14, 2021, 09:34:22 AM »
I'm looking for the original type vinyl in black as used on the tcs. I need to replace only part of one seat and am not after fully recovering them so it needs to be a very good match. I have looked at Woolies and Martrim but couldn't see a match. In Uk only .

Offline Triton

Re: Vinyl trim
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 14, 2021, 12:41:41 PM »
I suggest that you find a car trimmer nearest to you , maybe look on the web and take the seat panel or maybe the complete seat and see if he can match. You really need to put it right next to the seat to get an exact match. Stuart....

Offline RafM

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 15, 2021, 04:38:10 AM »
Can you post a picture?

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,October 16, 2021, 01:37:17 AM »
This shows the pattern on the vinyl.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,October 16, 2021, 02:09:32 AM »
https://hethersett.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/fulcher-coachtrimmers-ltd-23868546.html

Steve Fulcher does Lotus one-offs now, and if he cannot do your seat, he will know where the leathercloth can be obtained from.

He has done all the trim for all 7 of my cars. He is expensive but his quality is excellent.

Tell him Alex of Norfolk recommended him.

Offline RafM

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,October 16, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »
I think you may struggle to get a decent match, even if you find a very similar vinyl.

The original stuff will likely be stiff and inflexible, it may split when removing it from
the seat or when you unpick the stitching. Most people that sell vinyl will supply a sample which is the way to go if your intent on repairing.

Try Banks service station, they sell black vinyl by the metre and it looks similar.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,October 17, 2021, 01:44:32 AM »
Thanks Alex and Rafm. Thats some good information for me to follow up. I understand the problems in trying to patch the old, but I am trying to preserve rather than restore as my car is very original, and to me especially an original interior is where alot of the charm is in these old classics.

Offline RafM

« Reply #7 on: Monday,October 18, 2021, 09:12:39 AM »
Thanks Alex and Rafm. Thats some good information for me to follow up. I understand the problems in trying to patch the old, but I am trying to preserve rather than restore as my car is very original, and to me especially an original interior is where alot of the charm is in these old classics.

Post a photo of the damaged part of the cover.

It's a long shot, but I have some original black vinyl seat trims from an S2, you may be able to use a piece to replace the damaged area.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #8 on: Monday,October 18, 2021, 12:59:15 PM »
Both Banks and Steve Fulcher do not have the correct vinyl. I have a sample of this coming which might work. https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/products/heavy-faux-leather-fabric-black
Thanks for the offer Rafm, I need the 2 sloping panels on left side seat bolster, but I think re using old trim may be too much trouble.

Offline RafM

« Reply #9 on: Monday,October 18, 2021, 03:20:44 PM »
Both Banks and Steve Fulcher do not have the correct vinyl. I have a sample of this coming which might work. https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/products/heavy-faux-leather-fabric-black
Thanks for the offer Rafm, I need the 2 sloping panels on left side seat bolster, but I think re using old trim may be too much trouble.

Ok, those pieces are no good to reuse anyway, the seam between the seat bolster and seat back is the bit that always splits.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,November 20, 2021, 09:50:41 AM »
I have finally found a source of the original black vinyl after an exhaustive search. I am not sure whether this company manufactur this vinyl or simply buy it to use but this link shows it on one of their products, code 1290. The downside is its expensive at £65.00 a metre, but if your after perfection there is no better match.
https://newtoncomm.co.uk/products/spitfire-right-hand-knee-pad-1976on?_pos=16&_sid=9435e2899&_ss=r&variant=46800462856