Author Topic: The Europa Named One of the Ugliest Cars of the Sixties  (Read 991 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: The Europa Named One of the Ugliest Cars of the Sixties
« Reply #15 on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 04:37:36 AM »
I'm not going to validate this troll by responding to anything he writes. The pic on his bio of him making an ass of himself in front of his ginormous land yacht tells me everything I need to know about him. That, and he was a "consulting producer" for Top Gear (US). Emphasis on the (US), which was a woeful attempt to capitalize on the witty and unintentionally brilliant UK version.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #16 on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
I'm not going to validate this troll by responding to anything he writes. The pic on his bio of him making an ass of himself in front of his ginormous land yacht tells me everything I need to know about him. That, and he was a "consulting producer" for Top Gear (US). Emphasis on the (US), which was a woeful attempt to capitalize on the witty and unintentionally brilliant UK version.
t

Agreed! Its like having an obese cardiologist tell you about the virtues of good health....

I like that the Europa is so polarizing for many reasons and I enjoy hearing this kind of criticism. To me there is so much more to the beauty of a car than its appearance alone. It reveals the philistines with little effort! Besides, anyone who attempts to make a living by compiling aesthetic lists in a top 10 format is living a strange existence indeed... Thanks for your judgement Auto-Moses!

I was once at the Americas car museum in Tacoma, WA. As this picture was being taken a middle aged lady walked right behind me and loudly said to her husband "THAT IS THE UGLIEST CAR HERE!" I turned to her and smiled and said "I have 2 of these lovely little things :)" (at the time it was only two...) She made a condescending gasp and literally replied "oh, well I'm a corvette girl...'68..." Some people only see cars as objects or possessions. I feel sorry for them. They don't care to appreciate the risks that were taken with the design of the mechanical components, how unique the whole concept of the car is, historical significance etc. For me that is such a big part of why the Lotus is a fabulous little car. To me it stands alone and is all the better for it.

« Last Edit: Monday,April 27, 2020, 08:27:20 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #17 on: Monday,April 27, 2020, 11:31:06 PM »
as mentioned previously, I don't believe that the Europa has ever been a particularly easy car to capture in a photograph without it appearing 'awkward'

However, when it is photographed correctly (or seen 'in the flesh') it is a fantastic shape!

I do agree that some of the supposedly exquisite cars out there can be taken as stunning or hideous!

Some Zagato bodied Alfas and Lancias for example aren't everyone's "cup of tea" but I love them!
(the S1 Europa shared the rear lights with the Zagato Lancia Flavia Coupe, an odd car but I wouldn't say no!)
Mark 

Offline ACW270

• Looking to upgrade!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,April 28, 2020, 03:16:20 AM »
I used to have another of the cars in the list, the Hillman Imp.  Mine was the 'go-faster' version, the Californian.  Looks were the least of its problems - a beautiful productionised version of the Coventry Climax all-alloy engine at the time garage mechanics had never heard of a torque wrench, engine (and radiator) at the back, and made by ex-ship yard workers so each had to be sent to Rootes Group HQ for rectification before delivery.  Most difficult of all, it was competing against the fabulous Mini. 

Interestingly, one of the Rootes brothers, after seeing the might of Detroit in the 40s, said British companies would become small, technology leaders and would sell their expertise to foreign manufacturers.  He had a very good crystal ball and defined Lotus!
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 28, 2020, 04:55:02 AM by ACW270 »