Author Topic: Bell housing  (Read 1068 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Bell housing
« Reply #15 on: Monday,January 27, 2020, 07:51:49 PM »

I sent the instruments off to D&M restorations to get them back to like new and have the tach modified to work with the MSD 6AL ignition

I was under the impression Nisonger was the only option for Smiths tach conversion to electronic ignition. Any experience with either D&M or Nisonger to convince me either way?
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,January 28, 2020, 03:21:28 AM »
Got to ask - what is a "WOSP" starter unit? I'm drawing a blank.

It's the manufacturers name , a hi torque starter . UK  based. They have two types for the europa the twin csm and for the renault
dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,January 28, 2020, 03:51:53 AM »
Look at page 64, reply 951 in my rebuild post of my TC Europa. In that post I discuss and show photos of the closing plate mods need to fit the plate to the bell housing.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1704.945

I was also very confused about the fit of the closing plate and the starter only fit exactly one way. It was very tight. The new gear reduction starters (which I have and bought from RD) have the ability to be adjusted inside the mounting bracket.

On the three Elan’s I restored none of this was a problem. Only the Europa.......

Offline Bart

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,January 28, 2020, 05:10:49 AM »
Quick update,

I got a mail back from Banks this morning, it seems that WOSP (the manufacturer of the starter motor http://www.wosperformance.co.uk) made an error and put the wrong adapter plate on. So, false alarm, the correct size is 4.5" centers.

Many thanks to Andy for sending the photos of his bell housing, this was the "proof" that my bell housing was not an anomaly and got the solution found. Banks were great in helping to get to the bottom of it and I should have the correct plate this week.

The company I found to re-work the tach was  http://dandmrestoration.com I talked to them and they make in house a circuit board to modify the tach to work with the MSD. Seemed very knowledgeable to me.

Again thanks to everyone who posted, I did not want to be a "the sky is falling" poster, but when Richard at Banks told me that it should be 5" centers and I don't know even 1% as much as he does about Europa's I had to believe him.