Author Topic: TC STEERING WHEEL STALK PARTS  (Read 1188 times)

Offline kram350kram

TC STEERING WHEEL STALK PARTS
« on: Friday,December 13, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
New to Europa's. Just got a '74 TC. Needs much work. Missing some parts from the top of the steering column to the steering wheel. Maybe someone can explain the sequence of parts for total assembly, missing anything, etc? Have the Service Parts List exploded view , but hard to make out what is going on based on the picture. 

Underlined is what I have;

Steering column tube and splined steering shaft. Switch stalk, this slides over column tube and appears to lock down with a pinch screw on the horn stalk body? Switch stalk assembly appears to be located by a plastic tab in the horn switch and a slot in steering column tube? Round escutcheon plate that attaches to the back of the steering wheel with three screws. Then I have a three spoke four hole per spoke leather wrapped steering wheel with two pins on a splined adapter which these pins appear to catch the tan plastic turn signal canceling cam in the switch stalk.

Besides the cover that hides all the switch gear and the steering wheel center cover (a non-horn center button?) , what am I missing, if anything? 
Steering wheel has a 5/16" hole on its mounting flange, appears to be for a wire or maybe to affix the center cover faux horn button ?
Not sure how the faux horn button center cover would attach to the steering wheel?

Thanks for any help

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: TC STEERING WHEEL STALK PARTS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 01:30:31 AM »
Hi and  :Welcome:

As I am in the UK the Steering Column/wheel/horn push assembly is different for the Federal cars.  I suggest you post some pictures as it is often easier to see what's right/wrong/missing than to tell from descriptions as individuals often use different terminology for the same component.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your question.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 02:45:08 AM »
Actually if you are in Georgia the country rather than my assumption of Georgia, Texas (my assumption as most members seem to  be from US) you may have the same column as my 73 Special. Is the horn on your car supposed to work from your stalk, or a horn push in the centre of the wheel like mine?

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 06:27:41 AM »
 :Welcome: kram350kram!

I believe you should also have impact clamp and its hardware. As SilverBeast said, pictures would be very helpful. The hole in the mounting flange, which I don't have since my horn switch is the left hand stalk, sounds like it may be for a horn but I can't be sure. If the "handles" on your stalks are squarish and have printing on them, you have the same setup I have. If so, it sounds like you're missing the center cover for the wheel which just pushes and you'd need to find someone who replaced their wheel and kept that cover. If not, then I'm even less useful to you.

Good luck! I know we'd all love to see pictures of your baby and to be kept up to date with your progress!

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 09:37:04 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I will post pictures once the sun comes out Georgia, USA. The horn is on the stalk and I think the 5/16" hole in the wheel is for a center horn button for another model. Any detailed pictures of your wheel and cover(s) would be appreciated DBA.  It appears I have the impact clamp and hardware. Is the center wheel cover a hard find? Thanks Again.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »
Oh one other question on the stalk horn/turn signal high beam switch. The replacement switches that I seen for sale all have a rectangular  9 pin connector. The one off my car is square will 8 pins. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
The hole sounds like the one on mine for the wire from the horn button to the slip ring contact. I imagine the steering wheels would  be the same for all markets.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I will post pictures once the sun comes out Georgia, USA. The horn is on the stalk and I think the 5/16" hole in the wheel is for a center horn button for another model. Any detailed pictures of your wheel and cover(s) would be appreciated DBA.  It appears I have the impact clamp and hardware. Is the center wheel cover a hard find? Thanks Again.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of that at the moment. I'll try to get some later this evening or tomorrow. I suspect the wheel cover is hard to find but I wouldn't let that stop you from looking. I've found parts I didn't think anybody would have. Our own member, Certified Lotus, found an ashtray! I thought that was a fools errand! I would check with the usual suspects (r.d. enterprises, Dave Bean, and Sports Car World) and I would check here an on the Groups.io group (https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa). There are places in England that might be helpful like Europa Engineering (https://www.lotus-supplies.com) or SJ Sports Cars (https://www.sjsportscars.com). And if you still can't find one, newer sportier wheels do not loose you many points with the stay-original crowd.

Edit: Actually I did find two pictures that might be of a little help to you. The first is taken through my windshield down on the clamp for the control stalks on the steering column. My clamp had broken and this was how I fixed it.

The second is of my interior on the driver's side and shows the steering wheel cover.

These don't have a lot of detail to them so I'll try to get you some with more detail later.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 14, 2019, 02:36:24 PM by BDA »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,December 15, 2019, 06:41:33 AM »
Great pictures! Thanks

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,December 15, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »
Ok. I got out to the car and took some pictures (you should vow to do better at dressing/organizing your wires!). I don't know the actual names of everything and couldn't find them all in the parts manual but hopefully, you can catch my drift.

The hole you mentioned is, as you can see, found in my wheel too. In spite of the number of times I've had my wheel off, I never really noticed it!

The first picture is as it looks sitting in the driver's seat. (wheel.jpg)

The next picture is without the "cover." (wheel without cover.jpg)

Next are two pictures of the cover (cover.jpg and back of cover.jpg)

Next is the wheel without what I call the "dressing", nut, and washer (wheel without dressing, nut, and washer.jpg)
(The nut is 1 1/16" hex)

Next is the "dressing", the nut and washer (dressing with nut and washer.jpg)

Next is with the wheel off but the turn signal canceling "collar" and the upholstered escutcheon (no wheel.jpg)

Then with the escutcheon taken off exposing the stalks assembly. (no escutcheon.jpg)
(Now's a good time to mention that the stalk assembly is comprised of the left hand stalk which controls turn signals, horn and bright/dim headlights. The right one controls the windshield wiper and washer. Those are Spitfire parts. What is not a Spitfire part is the plate that is front and center in the picture that the two stalk controls are screwed onto. That is Europa specific. If either of your stalks is busted, you can replace them with the Spitfire part but you must be careful when you take the switches off the plate and watch carefully where the loose pieces go. There are spring loaded contacts in the stalk switch assemblies as well as a rolling contact (IIRC, for the turn signals) that touches contacts on the plate (again this is from memory).

Then a shot of underneath the steering column showing the impact clamp (underneath.jpg)
(You can see a brace anchored by two small bolts and nuts going through the floor of the front trunk. This attaches to the steering column bracket I believe. That is not absolutely necessary but if you don't have it, you should consider making one. It's just a piece of flat stock with small bends and hols in it. The parts manual gives you a pretty good idea of what it looks like. Also, the front part of the inner steering shaft is seen going between the clutch and brake pedals. Loosening up the impact clamp allows you to shorten the steering column so you can disconnect it from the steering rack.)

And lastly a shot of the bracket that holds the steering column to the bottom of the dash (bracket.jpg)

I hope this was helpful. I've probably told you much more than you need to know. It's not that complicated but if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Sunday,December 15, 2019, 03:40:03 PM by BDA »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #10 on: Sunday,December 15, 2019, 06:49:36 PM »
Wow, thanks for all that! Perfect, answered all my questions and more! Didn't mean for you to take your car apart. I owe you one!

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,December 15, 2019, 07:21:02 PM »
You're welcome! It really wasn't a big deal. I'm glad it helped.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #12 on: Monday,December 16, 2019, 03:04:47 AM »
Gotta love the Lotus shoes BDA!

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Monday,December 16, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
 ;D