Author Topic: New to me 1970 Europa S2  (Read 1859 times)

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
New to me 1970 Europa S2
« on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 07:45:42 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Kevin located on beautiful Vancouver Island in Canada. I've been wanting a Europa since I first spotted a Twin Cam in 1972. It's only taken me 46 years to buy one.

After looking at numerous cars and chatting with many helpful owners I picked up this beautiful 1970 S2 - 0496R. Amazingly it was located only 40 minutes from here. I previously had been looking across the US.

A full restoration will be done at some point but for now I'm just driving the car. Everything works except for the odometer, and it does leak some oil!

Offline lotusfanatic

Re: New to me 1970 Europa S2
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 07:49:52 AM »
Hi Kevin!

:Welcome:

great looking car!

Mark

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
Congratulations!

Most common engine oil leak on the Renault engines is the valve cover.  Very normal for it to weep out of the transaxle output shaft seals.  If it is minor, don't worry about it.  Do check the transaxle's oil level though: lots of expensive bits inside.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Kevin. That is a very nice looking S2. You've found the right place to talk Europa. Many knowledgeable and helpful folks here. Oh, and don't mind the oil leaks, that's just assurance that there is still oil in there. If it suddenly stops leaking, then it's time to become concerned. Cheers  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 08:35:31 AM »
Hi all,

I'm Kevin located on beautiful Vancouver Island in Canada. I've been wanting a Europa since I first spotted a Twin Cam in 1972. It's only taken me 46 years to buy one.

After looking at numerous cars and chatting with many helpful owners I picked up this beautiful 1970 S2 - 0496R. Amazingly it was located only 40 minutes from here. I previously had been looking across the US.

A full restoration will be done at some point but for now I'm just driving the car. Everything works except for the odometer, and it does leak some oil!

Hi Kevin, and  :Welcome:

A nice looking car and I don't blame you at all for just wanting to drive it. In fact it's a great idea, you get to know the car and decide what, if anything, needs replacing before you end up with several boxes of parts !

And as for leaking oil, well, it's always nice to know that you've bought yourself a genuine Lotus !

cheers

Brian

(more pictures would be good y'know......    ;)    )

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 08:36:36 AM »
2 posts while I was writing mine...     and we all mention the oil leaks. Guess that confirms it then Kevin, you've got a good 'un !

Online BDA

« Reply #6 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »
 :Welcome: to the forum, Kevin! That's a nice looking S2! It should make a good platform for a restoration! Keep us posted and post lots of pictures!

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #7 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 09:01:58 AM »
Thanks all,

I'll definitely be posting more photos!

The oil leak does appear to be the valve cover. I'll be checking it later today.

Prior to my purchase I spent many hours reading on this form. A wealth of information. Thank you all.

Offline BobW

« Reply #8 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum Kevin. You have what looks like a nice car :beerchug: It will be great to see another back on Vancouver Island's roads!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
  :Welcome:

Very nice selection Kevin. Glad to hear you came to your senses after 46 years. Just kidding.
The site has tons of info , vendors , manuals and as said previously great people.
Welcome
Dakazman (0453) 70 s2👍👍

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #10 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 11:39:38 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Let me add my welcome. I have found this forum to be a wealth of great information. It looks lovely.  I have a ‘70 S2 and I’ll be just across the border from you on Sunday/Monday in Seattle!

Regards,

Pete

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 12, 2018, 12:21:22 PM »
One more...  :Welcome:

Looks like a great car! I bought mine last year with a list of minor glitches I was going to take it off the road to address, but it's just too much damned fun to drive to take it off the road! There seems to be a critical mass of Europas in Canada. (Somewhere we have a link to a map of members' locations.) As previously stated, WE LOVE PICTURES!

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery