Author Topic: Seat belt mounting plates  (Read 557 times)

Offline andy harwood

Seat belt mounting plates
« on: Sunday,October 25, 2015, 07:00:11 AM »
In the quest to remove the body, when removing the gas tanks, found that someone had thoughtfully filled the rear sill with expandable foam. Neat, or so I thought.
In removing the seat belt from the outboard mount. Drivers side easy. Passenger side not so. Rusted and ended up cutting the bolt head off. When attempting to remove the mounting plate from the sill, found the foam actually goes from rear wheel well to the front.
I guess that foam would be ok, but made it an effort the get the rusty mount out - about 2.5 hrs worth of removing the foam.
Oh well, just more time to practice another of my "Lotus position" forms.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Seat belt mounting plates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,October 25, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
Those plates look very similar to what I found on my car, only in my case I only found them by accident. Like yours, the bolts on mine wouldn't undo but gave those ominous bending and creaking sounds that accompany rusted steel !

It's surprising it happened with the foam in place, perhaps the corrosion was well advanced before it was applied ?

Brian

Offline andy harwood

Re: Seat belt mounting plates
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,October 25, 2015, 03:50:57 PM »
Yes, I think the plate was very rusted before the foam was added. Most of the plate  came out in hunks of rust when cutting the foam away. I'm making up a plate out of some stainless scraps I had laying around.
AndyH