Author Topic: Replacing a seal  (Read 775 times)

Offline 4380r

Replacing a seal
« on: Friday,May 16, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »
My 365 trans is leaking a little oil where the control shaft goes into the trans. The protective boot has a tear, but I assume the little seal needs to be replaced to.

I haven't really poked around there yet, and looked in the manual but could not locate any guidance in how to replace that seal. Any advice?

They're two small, inocuous rubber parts, but if replacing that seal is a major tear down I think I'll put up with the occasional drop on the garage floor for a while.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Replacing a seal
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 16, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
I have a similar problem with my 365 trans (probably most do) so I'm interested to hear about this fix. I haven't spent any time investigating it yet, just another 'some day' job on the to do list. It leaks most of its oil out over the course of winter storage, but with warmer weather and use it slows down considerably. Nonetheless, I have wondered how difficult it is to replace this seal.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline cal44

Re: Replacing a seal
« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 16, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
"Keep in mind I am no expert".   I learned to do this when my 356 had a leak in the area where the shaft enters the transmission (car now sold).   But, the principal is the same, get the old seal out without scoring the shaft or (be extra careful) scoring the aluminum housing.

I have an array of picks and bent flat bladed screw drivers I have heated myself with the torch.  The screwdrivers have angles from 45 degrees to 90 degrees.  Needle nose pliers as well.

Start working the rubber seal, one side then the other or work in 1/3 rds around the circle.
DO NOT GOUGE THE INSIDE OF THE ALUMINUM HOUSING !!!

I could take five minutes or five hours, take your time.  The 356 took a total of four hours on my back as it had been in the trans for 40 years.

Once the seal is out, inspect the steel shaft for sharp edges, gouges, cuts etc.   This is best done with the shaft brought out as far as it would come towards the rear.  I do this with one of my many dental tool by sticking the handle in the hole, giving a turn right of left and pulling to the rear.  I had a slight sharp scratch.  Extra fine emory cloth, (one inch wide) took care of that.

I grease up the new seal and slide it on/in............"geez Joe, sorry, I know it's a family site". 
If someone has a better solution, I'm all eyes.
mike

"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines