Author Topic: Cold Start(Choke) cable resistance  (Read 178 times)

Offline Footer

Cold Start(Choke) cable resistance
« on: Sunday,June 25, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
My 73 Twin Cam Special needs to be warmed up pretty well before it will idle with no assist, either me working the throttle or application of the Cold Start Valve.  The problem is that the Cold Start Valve Cable is quite difficult to engage and then hold while waiting for the engine to idle on its own.  If I disconnect the cable from the fast idle cam the cable offers no resistance at all, so the resistance must be coming from somewhere else.  The cable is new and the carbs have just been cleaned and rebuilt.  I also put some lubricant into the cable housing, allowing gravity to take it the full length. 

I checked for a kink in the cable but found none.  When you activate the valve, you are working against four springs shown in the photo.  The top three arrows point to the three springs attached to the throttle.  The bottom arrow points to the spring attached to the Cold Start Valve.  I thought I could negate the resistance of the three throttle springs by slightly depressing the gas peddle before trying to move the cable.  This provided some help but only a minimal amount.  I'm out of ideas at this point and hope one of you have solved this issue in the past. 

I'm old and not the strongest person in the world but it seems this should be easier  to activate than mine is. 
Thanks guys!

Bob

Offline jbcollier

Re: Cold Start(Choke) cable resistance
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,June 25, 2023, 03:24:12 PM »
Always push the throttle down before engaging the choke.  That eliminates the effects of three of your springs and should allow it to move virtually friction free.  If it is still sticky, then there most likely is a problem with the cable.  I prefer solid wire cables for that type of choke.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 26, 2023, 04:42:30 AM »
I don't know if you know this, but if you turn the choke knob, it locks the chock position in place.  That may help you use the choke.  My choke springs back and off unless I turn the knob.

Offline Footer

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 26, 2023, 05:13:14 AM »
Thanks Pfreen, I think the original cable works the way you describe.  Mine is a replacement from RD and is grooved , not letting it turn.
Unfortunately, my original cable broke the second or third time I tried to use it and I wasn't able to salvage the handle.