Author Topic: BATTERY CABLE GAUGE  (Read 531 times)

Offline My S1

BATTERY CABLE GAUGE
« on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 06:14:22 PM »
I was shocked to see the Europa S1 using AWG 6 gauge wires. A bit like spaghetti. I would like to bump up the gauge just to feel good about it.  Did Lotus increase the gauge by the time they got to the TC?  What would be a reasonable increase in size?

Offline RonPNW

• S2 54/1678
Re: BATTERY CABLE GAUGE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 08:22:01 PM »
There are a lot of issues involved. Let me address a few of them. I should point out that when new the wire sizes used, while on the skimpy side, were adequate to the task.
* All or our cars have issues of corrosion in the wires, switches and connections.
* There are always two wires, one to 12v and one to ground. They both need to be good.
* The key heavy gauge wires are battery ground, engine ground and battery to starter. I use 4. (.05v drop per foot at 200A, each connection will also have about .08V drop, I also have two engine to chassis ground wires.)
* The slightly odd electrical system runs all non starter current through the ammeter. This is a fairly long wire where 6 would be OK. Assume 20 feet from battery to ammeter to radiator fans and headlights in front. You would get about .32v of loss which would be marginally OK. You would see the headlights dim when the fan turns on. I use AWG4.

On my build, I removed the ammeter, added relays and fuse blocks to the front, back and cabin. Run AWG 6 or 4 wire directly from the battery to each fuse block. I also added a 100A fuse at the battery (not in the starter line). I did not find any connections or switches that were not corroded or compromised in some way.

Ron
Second restoration of a 1970 S2, now with a Spyder chassis, 807-13 crossflow engine and some modern upgrades. This car is just for fun!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 06:54:41 AM »
My main battery cables are #1.  Overkill, I know, but it sure works like a hot damn.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 07:28:00 AM »
Just to extend the discussion, are the connectors swaged, soldered, something through door # 3?

Offline My S1

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 08:00:13 AM »
Sorry for the messy initial post.  I am referring to the battery cables (to ground and to starter) which appear to be 6 AWG.  I just measured the outside of the sheathing and it is only 1/4" O.D. which might actually be 8 gauge!  The ground is only an 18" run but the starter is about a 4' run.  Seems as though they should be thicker gauge just for good measure.

Offline bjthomp

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 09:17:45 AM »
I don't know if Lotus used a heavier gauge battery power and ground cable in post-S1 versions of the Europa. But I agree that it is a good idea to replace the original cables, if that's what are on your car. Some of the cables that people have used as replacements are of poor quality. If you do decide to replace your cables, I recommend purchasing them from this company. The marine cables are highest quality and if you want, they'll even attach the ends. I am a previous customer and obviously very satisfied.

Custom Cable and Wire at customcableusa.com

Offline My S1

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 09:37:44 AM »
Great tip!  I was searching around on  the usual sites; Jeggs, Pegasus and so on but this joint has it all.  Thank you.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 10:09:38 AM »
I don't know if Lotus used a heavier gauge battery power and ground cable in post-S1 versions of the Europa. But I agree that it is a good idea to replace the original cables, if that's what are on your car. Some of the cables that people have used as replacements are of poor quality. If you do decide to replace your cables, I recommend purchasing them from this company. The marine cables are highest quality and if you want, they'll even attach the ends. I am a previous customer and obviously very satisfied.

Custom Cable and Wire at customcableusa.com

Agreed, dealt with them before, and top-quality.  Thinking, after all this time, if you're pulling the lump, it's false economy to miss restringing new high-quality cable from the battery to the starter and ground jumpers since the run is exposed and easy (well, easier) to get to than when the engine is in place.

As for the solder vs crimp debate...I'll leave that alone.  I have my opinion, and will just say 'it depends' on what the cable will be used for. 
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 03:50:22 PM »
Crimped with a proper crimping tool and then sealed with self-sealing heat shrink.  I use a hydraulic crimping tool but there are hammer ones that do a good job as well.  Please, please use the proper colour of cable.  Either red (easily available) or brown for positive and black for ground.  I have seen unpleasantness arise otherwise.

On a large section connector like this, it is very difficult to contain the solder to just the connector.  I have done it with no issues in no-vibration settings.

Offline My S1

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 08:07:47 AM »
Was BROWN the original color for the positive battery cable from Hethel?    My vote is for soldering...wish I had a hydraulic clamping tool in my box though.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 08:33:27 AM »
These work great as well:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »
Thats what I have, works Great. sometimes I use my bolt cutters that have a convient chip out of the blades.
 I just purchased some diehard cables #4 in a 45 and 36 lenght. They did not have any red in stock so I'll just have to use some red heat shrink around them, as JB suggested.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 09, 2023, 10:03:23 PM »
Not having red for the positive cable is ok.  What's not, is using red for the negative cable (!!!).  Seriously, I have seen it done.

I just wired up the battery on Seven.  I used black cable for the positive and open-braided cable for the ground.  I used #2 cable.

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #13 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 07:03:41 AM »
Not having red for the positive cable is ok.  What's not, is using red for the negative cable (!!!).  Seriously, I have seen it done.

I just wired up the battery on Seven.  I used black cable for the positive and open-braided cable for the ground.  I used #2 cable.

What about positive ground cars?  Just curious what if any is the convention for them?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #14 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 08:49:26 AM »

If I have to use black cable for +12v, I wind red electrical tape around the end terminal to remind me it is the + cable.