Author Topic: TC Ignition Switch and Steering Lock  (Read 760 times)

Offline Roger

TC Ignition Switch and Steering Lock
« on: Saturday,June 20, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
I know there must have been something to retain the lower, switching part of the assembly in the upper, key-and-lock part, but whatever it was has left me.
I know I can start and stop with a screwdriver,  and lock and unlock with the key, but I'd really rather do both together.
Was there a screw or something from the metal bit into the plastic? And if not, what?
If I've overlooked a diagram, sorry.

Offline jbcollier

Re: TC Ignition Switch and Steering Lock
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,June 20, 2020, 09:48:20 PM »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 12:40:36 AM »
I think you mean what holds all the wiring to the lock mechanism so the turning of the key actually does something to all the wires.

The black plastic outer shround around the wiring loom white plastic seems to clip to the metal switch, but the six I have apart at the moment have electrical tie wraps around them so it may be when the black shroud stops clinging to the metal key switch, the connection is made by using a tie wrap to shrink the black plastic on to the metal.

There is no screw, it just clips together.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 07:11:43 AM »
The ignition electrical switch can be separated from the key/lock mechanism.  It’s not structural so it just pushed into place and is retained by a small set screw from the side.

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 08:46:47 AM »
Thank you gentlemen. I have two opposing comments, screw and no screw.
Since it falls apart easily, and the black plastic has no grip, I think I'll put it together with a screw.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 08:51:53 AM »
I think jb was pointing out the tapped hole for the set screw he mentions. I assume this is at the bottom right of the picture he linked, as that lines up with where the electrical switch that would push into the back of the key mechanism would be.

Offline Roger

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
I think jb was pointing out the tapped hole for the set screw he mentions. I assume this is at the bottom right of the picture he linked, as that lines up with where the electrical switch that would push into the back of the key mechanism would be.

Exactly my conclusion too. That means it's right on top of the assembly as installed, and therefore pretty much inaccessible without removing the column. Ugh.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 10:09:12 AM »
I have just looked at 7 steering locks I have lying around in my garage.

3 of them have 1.5mm holes in the lock which lines up with 1.5mm holes in the inner wiring part. I have never seen any pins holding them in place. The pins would have to be L shaped to allow them to be removed.

All 7 of them have white plastic tie wraps around them. These tie wraps could hold the L shaped pins in place. You could make these pins from stationery paper-clips.

All 7 of them have the black plastic shroud around the wiring part capable of clipping over the lock part and holding it in place.

None of them have any tapped holes in them capable of fitting a grub screw.

It would be perfectly possible to drill and tap a small hole in the metal lock part to take a grub screw which would lock the inner part in place.
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 10:33:04 AM by 4129R »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
They used a self-taping screw.

It maybe that Lotus themselves didn't.  I'd be surprised as then it would be pretty easy to start it without the key.

Offline BDA

NOT related to TC Ignition Switch and Steering Lock
« Reply #9 on: Sunday,June 21, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
This is NOT directly related to this thread but it reminded me of a funny, true story I feel compelled to share. My apologies in advance.

When I was in college, a buddy had an Alfa Spider whose ignition switch failed. Since he was a college student too, he couldn't afford a new switch but he learned he could start his car by using the key to turn on the ignition and then reach behind the switch with a beer bottle cap and short out the starter switch. He kept a few caps in the ash tray just for that purpose. For years, that was how he started his car. He finally put it up for sale. He was showing it to a perspective buyer who asked if he could take it for a ride. "Sure!" he said, and  he handed him the keys. Before my buddy had a chance to tell him about how to use the bottle cap to start the car, the perspective buyer put the key in the ignition, turned it and the car started right up!

Now I return you to your regularly scheduled forum thread. Thank you for your indulgence.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Monday,June 22, 2020, 11:13:26 AM »
They used a self-taping screw.

It maybe that Lotus themselves didn't.  I'd be surprised as then it would be pretty easy to start it without the key.

None of the many ignition locks I have looked at, have any hole larger than 1.5mm. I used 0.5mm 1.0mm 1.5mm and 2.0mm drills to measure the pinholes. 

Yes it would be easy to start the car if you knew this, but the steering lock would still work.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #11 on: Monday,June 22, 2020, 08:57:46 PM »
Don't tell the thieves but the lock is easily sheared.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,June 23, 2020, 06:20:14 AM »
I have found that when drilling out the screws holding the steering lock to the steering column, the screws often undo themselves while I am drilling them.

Offline Nisswa Collision

• Gordon Nachbar Restoration, Nisswa Collision & Restoration
« Reply #13 on: Saturday,November 14, 2020, 12:37:34 PM »
Well, this was my dilemma today. I see the matching little holes. They were empty and show no signs of threads. Mine fell apart. It appears the rubber boot was the only thing holding the switch on the lock. No sign of tie wraps or zip ties. A tiny screw does sound like a solution. The little hole isn't on top. It's on the right side. I'm surprised the factory didn't have a spring steel wire that went in the hole and snapped around the body.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,November 04, 2021, 09:25:41 AM »
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-2190611

Ignitions locks available new for £84.00.

I have just seen one advertised on eBay for £199.00 starting price plus £10.00 P&P.