Author Topic: What is my correct VIN  (Read 453 times)

Offline Sparkrite

What is my correct VIN
« on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 10:37:29 AM »
I am trying to register my federal tcs in the UK and the DVLA have refused as they said there was a discrepancy with the VIN. My original and unmolested car has the vin on the door end plate as 3776R, also on the plate on top of the dash is stamped the  same 3776R, however on the "fluids " plate fixed to the body in the front compartment its printed "unit no" then stamped 307 3776R. To further complicate things Andy Graham at lotus archives said it is 7307 3776R.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: What is my correct VIN
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 10:47:00 AM »
Andy Graham is right. It should be stamped as he stated. It was manufactured in month July of 1973.  A lot of the US states seem to have used the short number as Lotus only seem to have put the long number on the plate in the luggage compartment.
My UK Special uses the YYMMxxxxP format  and that is the VIN number on the Registration Document. I suggest all you can do is explain this to the DVLA. Do you have the US registration document to see what was on that?

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 10:50:28 AM »
Being a Yank, I don't know what the laws and documentary procedures are in the UK.

When I was closing in on putting my car on the road I went to get my car re-registered since it had been off the road for more than 20 years and was titled and previously registered and retitled in another state. When I went to the Department of Motor Vehicles, I told them the VIN was 3635R because I didn't know or had forgotten about the first numbers (7306 - denoting the year and month of manufacture). They didn't know any better so my registration and title says that is my VIN. It isn't actually and I would suspect that the Brit equivalent of the DMV might know that. On the other hand, when your car is identified "on the road", the plaque under the windshield will be how they do it and as you stated, that only has the last 5 characters of the VIN. On a "normal" car, the whole number would be there.

I'd ask the bureaucrat who deals with licensing what you should do.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 01:25:58 PM »
The shell will have the 3635R printed on the ally plate displayed in the left side of the windscreen, the VIN plate in the front plenum chamber should have 73063635R embossed on it, the shell roof above the seats inside and both doors should have paint or crayon markings 3635R on them or scratched into the fibreglass, which you can only see when the trim is removed, the left door should have a plate with 3635R embossed on it, US documents will usually have just 3635R on them but UK documents would normally have the full 73063635R.

The only other markings are the engine block number close to where the fuel pump and distributor are, and the chassis number embossed close to where the coil is located.

I know of no other identification marks relevant.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 03:15:32 PM »
Why is it that the plates on the dash top and door end clearly state vehicle identification number, whereas the plate in the compartment under the front bonnet states unit number. Surely there is some distinction between the two.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 04:28:59 PM »
I've heard it can be a real nightmare registering imported cars in the UK.  Talk to Club Lotus.  They can provide letters certifying VINs on Lotus cars.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 06:58:56 PM »
My UK car doesnt have the plates on the door, pr the dash only the one in the front luggage compartment.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,November 09, 2021, 12:33:59 AM »
Why is it that the plates on the dash top and door end clearly state vehicle identification number, whereas the plate in the compartment under the front bonnet states unit number. Surely there is some distinction between the two.

The 3635R is the shell number with R being US export. Q is other export countries, and P UK only market.

The 73063635 appears to be the full VIN number being made in 73 in the 06th month with shell number 3635.

I have had no problem registering a 2520R a 72 and 4129R a 74 US import model to date. They have the full 8 number R as the chassis frame VIN number.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,November 09, 2021, 04:41:44 AM »
You say the car is "original and unmolested", but could the plate in the front compartment be a newer replacement made by a previous owner? Or could the missing '7' digit indeed be there, but obscured by the field frame or just have been too weakly punched?
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,November 09, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
Well Peter that was a spot on diagnosis.  The missing '7' digit is indeed there , but obscured by the the word "no" and has been too weakly punched. It was easily missed by me.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,November 09, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
 Glad to hear! :pirate:
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline rjbaren

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,November 10, 2021, 08:18:37 PM »
When my body and chassis were separated I found the  four digit number in my case 3525, stamped on the chassis.