Author Topic: windshield install (again)  (Read 532 times)

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
windshield install (again)
« on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »
Hi,   s2 1969,  got the new rubber and window, so where do i start,   do I use rope(string)  like the old cars?   start at bottom or top?   yes did a search, got up to page 3
and gave up,   looking for instructions  for this older type of window(front)   Thanks  Mike.

Offline jbcollier

Re: windshield install (again)
« Reply #1 on: Friday,October 22, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »
You can't really use string as the seal is not one-piece.  First make sure the interior headlining and a-pillar upholstery is correctly in place.  Now cut the window seal to the correct length and mitre the corners to fix EXACTLY.  At this point some people bond the corners, it does help.  Next lay the windshield in place inserting as much as possible into the lower seal run.  Use plastic tools to assist it into place.  Work up the sides alternately to keep stress on the windshield and pillars low -- it is VERY easy to crack the a-pillars.  And then alternate along the top run and meet in the centre.

All in?

Now use the special tool too lay in the lock strip.  Use mitred corners at the top.  You can bend it around the lower corners.

Lastly seal the outside edge of the windshield seal (seal to body) with non-hardening sealer, also the mitred corners.  I use 3M 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound.  And the inside the windshield seal (seal to glass) with Permatex Clear Windshield Seal 65AR.

It's all a very messy process but it cleans up well and no water gets in.

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 05:25:47 AM »
thanks for help, exactly what I needed.  Mike.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,October 23, 2021, 11:57:02 AM »
I feel for you. I did my front, old style about two years ago. I found a cutter that cut right through the seal in one smooth cut. Like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/284174118278?epid=19004465588&hash=item422a18ed86:g:Zw0AAOSw5MFfnljj   I did trim some with a grinder though. I talked to Richard at Banks when I ordered and he said you want to be a little long. Rubber will shrink. You want good, straight cuts too. Install is a two person job two. I used some Armour All type spray for lube and like JB said, use the plastic tools. Mine popped out many times while fitting until it finally went in and then I couldn't believe it was in.

I didn't know you could bend the lower corners. I just followed how mine was originally. It would have saved some time.

Offline BobW

« Reply #4 on: Monday,October 25, 2021, 11:48:27 AM »
I didn't know you could bend the lower corners. I just followed how mine was originally. It would have saved some time.
The original seal was bent at the lower corners, so installed as two pieces. I got my replacement from Phoenix Trim in the UK, their IRS 1724 W/S. For those keeping track of interchanges, that seal also fits a 1954-57 Humber Hawk Mk 6 and a 1962 TVR Grand Tourer (lol). Phoenix does not list it for the Europa but it is the correct seal for an S2. 

Offline maxcar

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 04:13:48 AM »
I’ve had problems with the a-pillars bending out from the straight window a while after installing the window. Has anyone else seen this problem? I haven’t sealed my window rubber with any kind of glue, so that might be the cause, but I’d like to hear wether anyone else have solved the problem that way before I go gluing the whole thing up. It does seem like there’s always some kind of reason to pull there cars to pieces every once in a while, so glue isn’t always an attractive solution…
1968 S2

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 06:33:01 AM »
The rubber seal can be difficult to seat on the a-pillars.  BE VERY CAREFUL.  It is very easy to crack the a-pillar when trying to force the rubber into place -- I cracked mine :-(

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #7 on: Monday,November 08, 2021, 08:05:14 AM »
I’ve had problems with the a-pillars bending out from the straight window a while after installing the window. Has anyone else seen this problem? I haven’t sealed my window rubber with any kind of glue, so that might be the cause, but I’d like to hear wether anyone else have solved the problem that way before I go gluing the whole thing up. It does seem like there’s always some kind of reason to pull there cars to pieces every once in a while, so glue isn’t always an attractive solution…
Yes I've had the a pillars bend after windshield installation too. Maybe the pillars could be reinforced on the door side with steel rods and extra fiberglass ?

Offline RafM

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,November 11, 2021, 02:03:21 AM »
Yes I've had the a pillars bend after windshield installation too. Maybe the pillars could be reinforced on the door side with steel rods and extra fiberglass ?

That's exactly what I did with mine, it adds a fair bit of strength, I have also done this with the tops of the doors to strengthen up the frame around the glass.

In hindsight I would have put in slightly bigger steel rods and fibreglassed the whole thing to make it a completely solid section.