Author Topic: TC 74 Head Gasket replacement  (Read 528 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: TC 74 Head Gasket replacement
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,September 22, 2021, 03:36:04 PM »
  It doesn't matter how many miles, years pass and aluminum corrodes.  plastic disintegrates. metals corrode.  bypassing the best gaskets.
  dakazman

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,September 22, 2021, 03:38:17 PM »
A radiator pressure tester should tell you if you have a coolant leak.  A combustion leak detector will tell you if the head gasket is leaking combustion gas into the coolant.  Both testers are not that expensive. 

The head is not difficult to remove and replace with the engine in the car.  However, I would not recommend replacing the water pump without removing the engine.

So, maybe remove the head and see how the cylinders and pistons look.  If not good, you can still go ahead and remove the engine and transaxle.  It's just lighter.

Btw, nice looking car.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,September 22, 2021, 04:28:42 PM »
She shore is purty!

I think JB, as have everybody else, has given good advice. Getting the car going with the least amount of work would be my first strategy. As I have already said, I don't have a TC motor so I can't be very authoritative about that. I would just note that EuropaTC has stated in the past that replacing the water pump with the engine in the car is not as daunting as it might seem. Maybe he will chime in and explain further - or point to the thread where he discusses that.

I thing Pfreen's suggestion for a radiator pressure test and a combustion leak detector (here I assume he is referring to what I've always known as a leak down test) would be where I would start.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,September 22, 2021, 04:34:06 PM »
Combustion leak tester is a chemical test for combustion gases in the coolant.  You can get the kits at autoparts stores.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,September 22, 2021, 04:56:42 PM »
Interesting, JB! Thanks!