Author Topic: GPS, Goodies and Rear View Cameras  (Read 446 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
GPS, Goodies and Rear View Cameras
« on: Wednesday,August 25, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
Two weeks of condensing wiring and soldering every connection has given me confidence that my electrics are pretty solid.   The digital screens In the center are not 1970s but it’s my car and I added them to make life a little easier.  The upper screen is a GPS, digital speedometer and a list of over 200 songs that I liked about 10 years ago when I put it together.  My tastes have changed so it’ll be a project.   It’s a jail broken iPod mounted in a 3-D printed Single DIN housing.  The grey knob on the left is a push on push off knob and volume control.  The lens next to it can video me while I’m driving.  The lens on the right is fake but it acts as a button to control apps.  Push the grey button on the right and the interior lights go on.  Twist it to the right and the engine lights up under the LAMM window (look at my motor).

The two screens below make up a 170° rear view.  If you zoom in on the passenger side screen you can see the gas cap on the rear deck.  The left monitor needs to be adjusted slightly to view the cap but even unadjusted the blind spots are covered.

The cameras are mounted underneath the rear window lip are all but invisible from casual view. 

The car is a blast to drive and coming together well.  I have a car club lunch Saturday and a show in two weeks I’m looking forward to.   Been a long time coming.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: GPS, Goodies and Rear View Cameras
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 25, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »
That’s really cool, LeftAngle!  Very clever! :beerchug:

Offline jbcollier

Re: GPS, Goodies and Rear View Cameras
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 26, 2021, 05:48:50 AM »
Tech moves on, and it moves on quickly.  I use a stand alone GPS with a wireless back up camera.  That way I can remove it and adjust placement as I see fit and on whether I have a passenger or not.