Author Topic: New radiator  (Read 426 times)

Offline Gary t

New radiator
« on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 09:36:17 AM »
I have a new Chinese aluminum radiator on my bench  and am trying  to get my head around all of the steps before tearing into the car. The step I'm not sure about is the stone screen. What have  people done about that? Can I use the original? How is it fastened in? How about  air sealing/padding?
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: New radiator
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 10:08:05 AM »
You will need a 14mm Otter switch, to drill 2 new holes for the studs to locate in the rectangular hole, and foam to seal the gap around the rad so all the air goes through the rad and not through the gap around the rad.

I have not yet worked out the best mesh to act as a stone screen, but it would be much easier to screw it to the fibreglass from the front wheel well, as it is supposed to stop stones from that tyre punching a hole in the rad.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »
Here is a thread from last year in which we discussed- (on page 3) a nomex honeycomb material as an efficient replacement for the debris screen. I fitted a new aluminum radiator and this nomex screen material, but other work ensued so haven't road tested yet. http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=603.msg42702#msg42702

Apologies for the sideways photos, but I can't seem to rotate them.
« Last Edit: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 12:23:48 PM by LotusJoe »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
Gary, I have installed a Chinese triple core rad in my car with foam tape to seal the perimeter. I had to relocate the mounting holes in the fibreglass. I have installed the OEM screen with no problems in the 500 km. since I put it on the road. I have to pull the front tires off to reset the toe in. I will take a closer look.
Sandy

Offline Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 11:19:06 AM »
On my '73 TCS, the screen was screwed to the edges of the radiator with IIRC, six #14x1/2" sheet metal screws.

RD Enterprises has new screens, FWIW

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 10, 2021, 04:56:36 PM »
A good source of sticky one side foam is a place that fits truck caps. They put a strip between the body and the cap.

Offline Gary t

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,June 12, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
Almost ready to go back in just the bleed valve and stone screen
Gary Toffelmire
54/1173